Is Making Homemade Charcoal Worth the Effort?

Discussion about Charcoal and Lump Charcoal for smoking meat
Bricklayer2
Wants More tools
Wants More tools
Title: Masonry Contractor
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Is Making Homemade Charcoal Worth the Effort?

Post by Bricklayer2 » November 19th, 2017, 4:04 pm

OK this is getting out of hand a little out of hand. #-o , I am in the middle of a GF build, I have drown plans for the Center Feed i would like to build and noooow I am interested in making charcoal. Before I go further with charcoal, honestly is making homemade charcoal worth it. Lets say taste first, can you all tell any difference in the quality of your cooks with homemade charcoal? How about cost, is it worth while? From all of you who have tried this do you think is worth while? Thanks :-ss

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!

Re: Is Making Homemade Charcoal Worth the Effort?

Post by Squiggle » November 21st, 2017, 2:28 am

I have tried to make a charcoal kiln & it worked, but not a effective as I would have hoped. I need to modify my kiln to be more efficient & produce a more consistent charcoal. If I had to answer yes or no, then I would say no, not as long as you can get good quality lump from Bunnings(Lowes in the US) at a decent price. Also, GFs are so effective that you just can't really go wrong buying the stuff. You're better off concentrating on getting to know your GF before tinkering with a charcoal kiln. :kewl:

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr

Post by ajfoxy » November 21st, 2017, 6:11 am

:yth: Unless you have access to heaps of raw wood and a large, efficient charcoal retort you are better off buying lump.
Don't get me wrong, making your own is a very satisfying enterprise, but not if your pit is going to rely on it. The variables are just too great to consistently get good charcoal.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Bricklayer2
Wants More tools
Wants More tools
Title: Masonry Contractor

Post by Bricklayer2 » November 21st, 2017, 8:00 pm

Thanks, I will put it on the back burner right now but my daughter is wanting biochar for the garden so I may make a simple retort in the future.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr

Post by ajfoxy » November 22nd, 2017, 4:14 am

That's probably the way to go. Build a small biochar retort and then you can experiment with making small amounts of lump. That way you got the gist of the process and can finetune it. Then build a bigger, more productive retort etc.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Return to “Charcoal”