Chimney in the box

Discussion about Charcoal and Lump Charcoal for smoking meat
Tmzand

Chimney in the box

Post by Tmzand » June 26th, 2016, 3:57 pm

Hey guys,

first post here, been lurkin' :-)
Have to say this forum is golden! Living in Sweden there are not many offset RF pits to check out live. Sadly BBQ has no tradition here, high (temps :-) ) and fast is the method of grilling. Charred on the outside and frozen in the middle. Yikes.
A lot of guys do cold smoke though producing some nice meat and fish.

I'm building a RF offset from a 200gal tank w/a square firebox and was thinking of how to start it off with a "bigger than Weber" charcoal chimney.
Why not put a chimney tube, wide and tall as needed/allowed to fit, directly on the grate in the fire box? A couple of favorite sheets of newspaper in the bottom and charcoal on top, open the air inlets and light. When coals go white, pull the tube. Coals falls in the right place, no heat loss, no heat to ambient, less mess?

Yeah you need a firebox large enough to pull the tube, but when going for a 200+ gal cooker the firebox is not that tiny.
Thinking out loud here.

This has probably been tried already, anyway looking forward to be shot down...

Thanks,
/Thomas

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: Chimney in the box

Post by Big T » June 26th, 2016, 8:28 pm

Welcome to the forum. I use a large charcoal chimney to light my charcoal, once it's going good I dump it in the fire basket and throw on 2 or 3 splits of wood and leave the fire box door open until I have a good flame. It doesn't take very long for the pit to come up to temp using this method. I usually wait about 30 minutes until all the steel is hot and temperature has stabilized before loading the meat in the cook chamber. I'm sure there's a lot of other ways to do it but I've never had any issues doing it like this.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » June 27th, 2016, 7:37 am

:yth:

:welcome:

To the crew.

The idea you have is one reason for this forum, everyone has ideas and some work and some don't. We try to help folks not build thing that don't work.
As for your idea are you going to load the FB from the top or a side door? I say that because the side door might make it hard to do. But if it is top loaded, it should work.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Squiggle » June 29th, 2016, 3:22 am

:welcome:

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » June 29th, 2016, 4:24 pm

I love new ideas. Best part is that if it doesn't work, it'd be pretty easy to cut off the chute and weld on a cover plate.

Personally tho, I'd rather have a warming box above my firebox.

Return to “Charcoal”