Fruit wood and pesticides

Discussion about Woods for smoking
Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Fruit wood and pesticides

Post by Puff » July 25th, 2014, 8:28 pm

I have made an attempt in the last several weeks to clear up a few thoughts on using cut wood or wood pruned from local orchards as smoker fuels. My concerns are that the chemicals used on the trees might have residual amounts in the wood and wreak havoc in the food we eat.

So... I can only say that this little tid bit took several referrals and letters to acquire but I kinda like the end result"

Here is a copy of the paragraph that yields the information I was looking for ......it comes from a research microbiologist at the forest products lab at the Univ.. Of Wisconsin

As a fruit tree grower, I do know that the pesticides used on fruit trees are intended to have a short effective duration so that the fruit is edible two weeks following the last application. The pesticide is applied every 2 weeks during the summer season because that is the hatch cycle of insect eggs, which again suggests to me that the efficacy of the pesticide is only two weeks otherwise a single application would be effective for more than one hatch cycle of the insect.

Sorry that I don’t have any more information than that.

With that information I feel a bit better about going to some local apple and peach orchards and taking some of the wood they have each year

Figured I'd pass that along

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Pete Mazz
Title: Meathead

Re: Fruit wood and pesticides

Post by Pete Mazz » July 26th, 2014, 6:03 am

Try it and let us know if you can lay some eggs 2 weeks from now. :beer:

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » July 26th, 2014, 7:05 am

Unless you harvest it yourself, how does anyone really know about the source. With such stories about dumping and contaminated areas, previously unknown to locals, it irks me a bit. All of the wood I have, has lived with me for over 35 years, I know the source and feel comfortable with using it. This at least takes the edge off....a tiny bit. There are a lot of big orchards here the would possibly be a big source of peach and apple

Not that I'm completely crazy but, I test our well water annually , had my soils tested in a spot where nothing would grow, it was fill dirt but while not contaminated, had zero organic material in it. Heck , why not check the wood!

Pete, I have some "other"apple if you'd like to try it.... [-x

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Pete Mazz
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » July 26th, 2014, 10:46 am

just kidding of course!

Actually it's a valid concern. One I probably would never have thought to ask.

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » July 26th, 2014, 12:40 pm

So really by the time it is ready to burn (cured) it is good to go. I really didn't know that for sure, just figured it was true. Good to know. Thanks

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » July 26th, 2014, 1:06 pm

Hey Pete, I know your kidding...I know by now, especially here, that you better be able to enjoy a good poke every so often...somedays more than others :strongbad:

I assumed the same thing...if it's burn able it's probably good to go. I have heard some scary stories. In Vermont, some of my friends work at the asbestos mines...you know where that wound up. It's one of those lawyer commercials these days.

Another amazing reality is some new drugs..."have you taken......? If so call 1-800....."

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Post by Gizmo » July 27th, 2014, 6:41 am

Thanks for sharing the research Puff! :-B

But that still doesn't explain the hallucinations I'm having smoking chicken….. :-ss

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

SmokinFF
Expert
Expert
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by SmokinFF » July 27th, 2014, 10:22 am

Your supposed to put the chicken in the cooker Gizmo. Don't just smoke the chicken, that's called E-Coli. :beer:

Current Smokers: Junk Char Griller, Mini UDS (Hydrant build), UDS (Bud Select can)

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Post by Gizmo » July 28th, 2014, 9:57 pm

L-)

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

Return to “Wood”