welder blows breaker

Talk about welders and metal working equipment.
Miles
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

welder blows breaker

Post by Miles » March 27th, 2016, 10:34 am

Good morning,
I am a novice welder, I used a mig welder to build my smoker and have learned a bit but still far from good.
I have since obtained a 225 amp Fornay "Spitfire" AC stick welder and I'm in the process of repairing a Bobcat bucket.
I cut out the damaged areas and am welding 1/4" plate for the repair.
The first day the welder worked fine, yesterday the breaker in the pannel tripped. I had the same settings, same rod, same metal. After I let things cool down and reset the breaker I didn't get half a rod down before the breaker went again.
I put some 035 flux core in my mig and used that to weld a couple of patches, worked ok but it will take a lot longer with the mig than the stick.
I was using 1/8" 7014 rod at 140 amps on 1/4" steel. I did notice the ground cable was quite warm from the clamp about five feet up the cable. I did not have the clamp close enough to the spot I was welding to heat it up with the rod.
Any ideas as to why the welder would blow the breaker after a day of welding when it did not blow?
I have the same cables that the previous owner used and the same 30 amdp breaker in the panel to the output receptical on the wall.

Al Miles

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: welder blows breaker

Post by Rodcrafter » March 28th, 2016, 7:09 am

If the ground clamp and lead are getting hot it isn't getting a good ground, that is for sure. You may want to take the clamp off and cut about 4 inches of the lead off and reattach it to the clamp. If the spring in the clamp is loose that will be a problem, but until you replace the clamp you can either clamp it to the metal or tack weld it on.

But you need to check the load of amps each machine draws to see if the breaker is even going to work. Sometimes you can put a larger breaker on the circuit but you need to let a electrician check that for you.

jm2cw

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Miles
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Miles » March 28th, 2016, 7:43 am

Thank you for the tip about the clamp cable, I will cut some of the cable .
I found the total draw of the welder is 47 amps at max output, not the 27 amps I was told. I will have to change the breaker from 30 to 50 amps. I'll need the breaker and three feet of Number six wire.
Funny the previous owner of the welder could run it with a 30 amp breaker. Maybe he just welded light small jobs.
Thanks again.

Al Miles

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » March 29th, 2016, 11:20 pm

Electricity is a funny thing.

Moisture anywhere causing an arc and tripping it? Someone trip on the cord and pull it out a bit and not make proper contact in the outlet?

On a different note, was it on a dedicated circuit? I found out my bedroom-in the back of the house- is on the same circuit as the microwave. If I am ironing (yes, I weld and iron my own shirts!) and someone turns on the microwave, I have to head out to reset the beaker. Granted most 220s are dedicated lines but I have seen some people tie off them.

Just silly ideas, hope you get if figured out.

Return to “Welding and Metal Working”