anyone use a lotos plasma cutter

Talk about welders and metal working equipment.
jfish63
beginner
beginner

anyone use a lotos plasma cutter

Post by jfish63 » January 4th, 2016, 5:26 pm

any one use or know anything about the lotos ltp5000D pilot arc plasma cutter. I bought one from newegg foe $299. I just hope it is not a pos

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Re: anyone use a lotos plasma cutter

Post by Dirtytires » January 4th, 2016, 7:18 pm

A plasma cutter for $299? That seems "too good to be true".

Good luck.

jfish63
beginner
beginner

Post by jfish63 » January 5th, 2016, 4:54 am

post christmas sale was 470

BitBucket
Wants More tools
Wants More tools
Title: Smoker noob
BBQ Comp Team Name: I like to cook for crowds, but I'm not sure I'll ever compete.

Post by BitBucket » January 5th, 2016, 5:11 pm

I got one of the Lotos LTP5000D models. Compared to my oxy-propane rig it cuts nice neat lines and doesn't heat up the material nearly as much, but I suspect it's not quite as nice as some of the other bigger name brand ones (but for the cost, I have no complaints). Some notes:

On 1/4" steel, the dial is for looks, it should be all the way up.
It probably doesn't need to be said but cutting horizontally is far cleaner than vertically.
Get a pack of cups and tips, you'll need them before too long. I also got a a KH Industries P650DF Rubber/Polycarbonate Rewireable Flip Seal Straight Blade Plug, 2 Pole/3 Wire, 50 amps, 250V AC, Yellow (paste that into amazon if you want to look at it).

Hope yours serves you well,
Bb

--
My motto on building smokers: “It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop” ~ Confucius

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » January 5th, 2016, 10:39 pm

Been tempted so many times and have read more positive reviews and comment than negative ones. After 5 smokers I'm still cutting with discs and cutoff wheels AND I HATE THAT. Was ready to buy a nice hypertherm but kept getting slapped by the pricetag. I may just get on then see for my self. What will happen is it could break quickly and I'll curse the day I did that or it will run and run and run....then, the day it breaks I'll curse the day I bought it anyway.

Don't want to spend $1400.00 on something that may work well for $300. I have a grandson now and my money is no longer my own :D

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

YTQBBQINC
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Yummy Tummy BBQ

Post by YTQBBQINC » January 11th, 2016, 12:46 am

I have the LT5000D. Been working great for me. I'm only cutting 10 gauge though but it cuts through it quick and easy.

jfish63
beginner
beginner

Post by jfish63 » January 11th, 2016, 6:07 pm

fired up the plasma cutter after work for a quick test run. It is only the second plasma cutter I have used but it cut through 1/4" rusted plate fast and clean. Now we will see how it is on consumables and life expectancy. so far very happy

web44

Post by web44 » January 11th, 2016, 10:44 pm

If I recall correctly they are usually double that price. I'd say you did good. We had one like that in high school and it worked good even with HS kids abusing it haha.

Return to “Welding and Metal Working”