Which Welder

Talk about welders and metal working equipment.
reccitron

Which Welder

Post by reccitron » October 4th, 2015, 9:58 am

I’m planning on building 1 or 2 RF smokers for a small catering business. I have a 100lb propane tank that I’m planning on using to make one out of but think it is a little small but could be used along with my BGE to get a few side jobs to build up some capitol. I am also searching for a 250 gallon for a trailer build. Since funds are tight, I’m looking for a cheap welder that will work for the short term.

I have been looking at a 170 amp 220 volt welder at harbor freight for $179 but I know a lot of people advise against them. I recently found a Lincoln pro core 125 welder on CL for $250. The seller says it is in good shape. Harbor Freight is going to have a 90 amp wire feed for $89. I’ve never welded or built a smoker so I have a lot of learning to do for each . From reading a lot of posts I’m assuming I would have to weld at least ¼ “. Would one of these welders work for me until I can build up some money to buy a better one?

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Which Welder

Post by Rodcrafter » October 4th, 2015, 2:05 pm

I have used good welders and tried to use cheap ones. I find it is hard for anyone to use cheap machines but a novice can weld with a good machine easily.

Making memories.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » October 4th, 2015, 2:29 pm

I must be proof of RC's comment. I was anxious to buy a mig welder for the limited uses I thought I would have. Had a Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225 in the garage over 25 yrs UNUSED. Built my first 275 and trailer with it after learning a bit about using it. Was SO VERY TEMPTED by the Chinese welders based on their price but decided to buy the Miller mig. I'm am starting my 6th build and the 5th using the mig. Welding is never a thought as the ease at which it just happened was terrific. I have made things here at the house for myself, work and my son. It seems once you have a welder that just makes it so easy... You almost look for things to do with it. Once you get your trailer up and running...any modifications or additions can be done so easily. AND, they will be out there.

It's your choice but you asked... I vote save up and save the stresses.

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Smokydokey
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Smokydokey » October 4th, 2015, 8:19 pm

Yeah, don't skimp out on your welder. Buy a good Blue or Red one. If you want to "skimp", only get a 110v in either of those colors.
100# lp tank is pretty small, I built one that size and it's great for a small feed, but I'm not sure how it would work stuffed to max with meat. It was my first build and these guy's here are some good helpful & friendly dude's!

Return to “Welding and Metal Working”