Expanded metal

Talk about welders and metal working equipment.
Freiesleben
beginner
beginner

Expanded metal

Postby Freiesleben » October 10th, 2017, 2:34 am

Hi all,

I have found some expanded metal(see pictures attached) which I can get at a really good price. But I am not sure if it is safe to use with food in my smoker.

It seems to be coated with something, but seems that it can be burned off with a torch. But will this do it or should I stay away?

What I am thinking is that it can be burned off and then grinded clean afterwards.

stræk metal1.JPG

stræk metal2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Expanded metal

Postby ajfoxy » October 10th, 2017, 5:16 am

If it is just plastic coating and not galvanised, and you could not get anything else... I'm sure you could burn the stuff off with a weed burner. Would take a while and stink to high heaven but it could be done. However, first see if you can get uncoated, ungalvanised expanded metal. Or if your budget is up to it, stainless steel is first prize.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Freiesleben
beginner
beginner

Postby Freiesleben » October 10th, 2017, 6:00 am

Thanks, might try to look for stainless steel then. Do not want to risk anything.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Postby Rodcrafter » October 10th, 2017, 7:32 am

Carbon steel is fine too. You don't have to go with stainless, once you use it a time or two it will have a coating on it that comes from smoking, we call it seasoning. It won't rust, or anything so don't think carbon steel is a bad thing. I have never used it, and made many sorts of cooking devises.

Having said all that if you can weld stainless and can afford it be my guest.

jm2cw

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Freiesleben
beginner
beginner

Postby Freiesleben » October 10th, 2017, 8:38 am

Thanks Rodcrafter :)

I might still take this expanded metal, then sandblast it. The everything should be gone and season it once the smoker is up and running.

Return to “Welding and Metal Working”