Welding spindle to round axle tubes

Haul in here to talk trailers.
jsides1947
Just Got in trouble for buying tools

Welding spindle to round axle tubes

Post by jsides1947 » September 23rd, 2015, 12:11 am

I have a question about welding my spindles into round axle tubes. I am planing to build a trailer for my rf smoker using 3500 lb spindles with the square brake brackets installed on them. plan on using 2'' 3/16 wall pipe. my trailer size is going to be 5 ft x 10 ft long single axle. when you install the spindle into the round axle tube how much gap from the brake flange do i need for welding . Going to use 7018 ac 1/8 welding rods, I got the spindle centered into the pipe by using tape for arbors just to get the spindles tacked. Need some help on welding spindles.
Thanks
James

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Re: Welding spindle to round axle tubes

Post by Puff » September 23rd, 2015, 8:26 am

Good question jsides1947, my spindles and hubs are arriving today. Wish I had an answer but it seems as though you would need to have clearance for the tires against the frame and still maintain enough bite on the spindle and tube to be secure

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

jsides1947

Post by jsides1947 » September 23rd, 2015, 9:45 am

Thanks Puff The spring hanger seats that weld too the axle tube will determine how much space needed for your tires and fenders. I am using about 4 inches from center of spring hanger seat to the square brake mount on spindle. I got this measurement from my 16 ft low boy trailer that has 15 in rims, and has enough clearance for tires and fenders.

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » September 23rd, 2015, 2:47 pm

The only difference is that mine is for my log splitter. It is only to drag it around the woods and has no spring set up. It will wind up only a tube with the spindles and hubs to mount the wheels.

I too measured my 4x8 RF smoker trailer. That axle came from Dexter and I think it was 61" .....that fits everything perfectly and has about 4" clearance. That one has springs, thank goodness....3500! Would not have thought to go that much for what it is but the advice I got right here mandated it.

Happy I listened :-)

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

jsides1947

Post by jsides1947 » September 23rd, 2015, 3:54 pm

Thanks Puff; Just the thought of needing a 5x10 trailer to add a wood rack and two propane burners to warm things up, The space gets used up quick. that's why i'm going to use 3500 lb spindles.

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » September 23rd, 2015, 9:08 pm

That is absolutely true. However, I can stow enough wood under and around the tank to burn for around 14 - 16 hours. With the cutout for my firebox and the extension of that firebox...its 10' long

jsides1947

Post by jsides1947 » September 24th, 2015, 10:03 am

Has anyone welded spindles into round axle tubes for trailers? On a 5x10 ft trailer would you use 60/40 to install the axle? That would place the axle at 6ft to the rear is this correct?

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » September 24th, 2015, 12:31 pm

I know this isn't the size of your axle but the ends will be the same.
Maybe this will help;

Dexter Trailer Axles - T3584F-EZ-8974
Trailer axle beam measures 89" from hub face to hub face (when hubs - sold separately - are mounted) and 74" from spring center to spring center. EZ-Lube spindles make it easy to lubricate bearings (sold separately).

Features:
Axle beam acts as part of your trailer's suspension system
Replace an axle on your trailer
Fabricate a suspension to fit your application
High-strength steel construction
Bend in axle creates zero camber angle for even road-to-tread contact across the width of your trailer's tires
Best for straight-line acceleration and steady, controlled towing
Underslung design - spring seats welded to underside of axle for mounting leaf springs (sold separately)
Low ride height makes it easier to load and unload your trailer
Straight, EZ-Lube spindles - no drop
Built-in grease zerks for simple lubrication
Spring seats, brake flanges, and spindles are welded on
Limited 2-year warranty

Specs:
Weight capacity: 3,500 lbs
Hub-face-to-hub-face length: 89"
Spring-center-to-spring-center length: 74"
Flange-to-flange length: 82-5/8"
Tubing outer diameter: 2-3/8"
Spindle size: 1-1/16"
Bearings (sold separately):
Inner bearing: L68149
Outer bearing: L44649
Brake flange configuration: 4 bolt

Axle Dimensions
Hub Face and Spring Center Measurements on Standard Trailer Axle

There are multiple ways to measure the length of an axle beam, but the hub-face-to-hub-face and spring-center-to-spring-center lengths are the most accurate. Hub face (A) refers to the length of the axle measured from the base of one wheel stud to the base of the wheel stud on the opposite side of the axle (when hubs are mounted on the beam).

The spring center (B) is the approximate width of your trailer. It is measured from the center of the spring seat on one side of the axle to the center of the seat on the other. This axle beam comes with the spring seats welded on.

Hub Face and Spring Center Measurements on Standard Trailer Axle

Another helpful measurement to have is the flange-to-flange (C) length, which is measured from the outside of one brake flange to the outside of the one opposite. This length may be easy to obtain if you are replacing an axle, but it's important to note that this measurement is not the preferred method for determining which axle will best fit your trailer.

If you are replacing your trailer's axle, you should be able to figure out which type you need by determining your trailer's capacity, the bolt pattern of your wheels, the brake type and the aforementioned lengths.

Dexter Axles
Dexter axles are made of high-strength steel and come with spindles and spring seats welded on. The spring seats are attached to the underside of the axle so that the leaf springs (sold separately) can mount beneath the axle. The result of this underslung design is a trailer that rides a bit lower for quick and easy loading and unloading.

Each axle is manufactured to create a certain camber angle. This ensures that the angle of the wheels is correct for your towing needs. Because the primary concern when towing is maintaining controlled, in-line movement, each axle is made so that your trailer's tires will run along the pavement evenly, with contact across the width of the tread. The result is excellent straight-line acceleration for steady, in-line tracking. You might notice the bend near the center of the axle; this is what ensures the proper camber angle. Having the center ride a bit higher and the sides of the axle bent lower allows the axle to give just enough to compensate for the load.

T3584F-8974-EZ Dexter Replacement Axle Beam - Easy Lube - 89" Hub Face - 74" Spring Center - 3,500 lbs

Video of Dexter Trailer Axle Beam with EZ-Lube Spindles - 89" Long - 3,500 lbs

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

jsides1947

Post by jsides1947 » September 24th, 2015, 5:05 pm

Thanks Rod Crafter for the good information, But I would like to build from scratch my axles , I have purchased two 3500 lb spindles with the square brake flange welded on and have 2 inch sch 80 pipe with 3/16 wall thickness for axle tubes. I have welded spindles on my boat trailer long ago but they didn't have the square brake flanges. I don't know if I need to butt my new spindles up to the square brake flange and weld them or leave a little space and weld the spindle itself and brake flange all together. Any one done this . Thanks

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » September 25th, 2015, 4:46 am

Oh now I see what your asking, but I think the pictures of the one I sent you will show the same thing. But anyway, the brake plate is not supposed to be included in the attaching of the spindle. Weld that completely and the brake plate can just have an 1" weld in a few places around the axle.

Making memories.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » September 25th, 2015, 5:17 am

In my case, since the trailer might not see 10 miles an hour, I'm not concerned about the correct camber. BUT IT NEVER CROSSED MY MIND IN THINKING ABOUT USING AN AXLE FOR ANYTHING ELSE :o
That's where it starts to get a bit more complicated.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » September 25th, 2015, 5:49 am

It's not as important on shorter axles. Because the load doesn't cause them to flex as much.

Making memories.

jsides1947

Post by jsides1947 » September 25th, 2015, 7:42 pm

2889.jpg
RodCrafter this is what I want too do, Added tape for arbor to fit snug into pipe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jsides1947

Post by jsides1947 » September 25th, 2015, 7:54 pm

2891.jpg
I can leave a little gap and can weld spindle, brake bracket all together using a stick welder 1/8 rod 7018 ac with 120/150 amps, the tape will burn but will align spindle long enough to tack weld spindle in place what do you think?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jsides1947

Post by jsides1947 » September 25th, 2015, 8:00 pm

2890.jpg
2 inch pipe 3/16 wall sch 80, Going to use pipe like this for axle tubes

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » September 25th, 2015, 9:13 pm

I think your idea sounds good but I did read a bunch about using metal shims to center the shaft before welding. If you feel that tape will hold until your secure, I would go for it...BUT, IM A GAMBLER....I try a lot of obscure ideas. Never really been disappointed in the outcomes cept' maybe once?

My spindles arrived tonight when I got home... Goin striper fishing tomorrow so I can't work on anything but I am glad to be able to move this log splitter. I've been using it on blocks for two years
image.jpeg

jsides1947

Post by jsides1947 » September 25th, 2015, 9:52 pm

Hey Puff, catch a lot of fish, are you going to troll or still fish? I have a Epic 22 sc with a Evinrude E tec 150 do alot of saltwater fishing at matagorda Texas. hope you get your log splitter up and going will be great to move it around .

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » September 26th, 2015, 12:02 pm

Yes that will be fine go for it.

Making memories.

4-Barrel
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker
Title: Blue-Blood Redneck

Post by 4-Barrel » September 26th, 2015, 1:06 pm

jsides1947 wrote:I can leave a little gap and can weld spindle, brake bracket all together using a stick welder 1/8 rod 7018 ac with 120/150 amps, the tape will burn but will align spindle long enough to tack weld spindle in place what do you think?
Howdy jsides1947,

A suggestion here: since you're using AC7018, you might wanna "proof it" on a scrap piece of steel with some of the tape stuck to it before welding the actual spindle. My reasoning for that is that since AC7018s are very susceptible to weld bead porosity even under absolutely clean conditions, adding in the burning tape might really throw a monkey wrench in the works. Also (you might already know this), if you like to use AC7018 the Lincoln Excalibur is definitely better than Hobart's version.

Of course, if all the tape is up inside the works and none will actually be exposed, then just ignore my post... It's hard to tell from the photo, though. Just wanted to bring that out before your poor weld ended up looking like a sponge...

4-Barrel

Southern fried catfish - the other white meat!

jsides1947

Post by jsides1947 » September 29th, 2015, 11:51 am

I have a question about spring mounting to your trailer. Would you mount the springs under slung, Mounts have the springs mounted below the axle. or over slung, Mounts have the springs mounted on top. I am using round axle tubes single axle trailer and did not know which way was better or dose it make any difference. I have a boat trailer the springs are under slung single axle and a 16 ft low boy trailer with two axle's that are over slung. whats the difference and which way is better.

knightgang

Post by knightgang » September 29th, 2015, 2:31 pm

jsides1947 wrote:I have a question about spring mounting to your trailer. Would you mount the springs under slung, Mounts have the springs mounted below the axle. or over slung, Mounts have the springs mounted on top. I am using round axle tubes single axle trailer and did not know which way was better or dose it make any difference. I have a boat trailer the springs are under slung single axle and a 16 ft low boy trailer with two axle's that are over slung. whats the difference and which way is better.
As long as the Axle does not have the Bend in it for Load camber, the only difference in OverSlug and Underslung is the ride height of the deck.

jsides1947

Post by jsides1947 » September 30th, 2015, 11:26 am

Thanks Knightgang My axle is straight with no bend and need to keep deck height low. I was going to use the 60/40 measurement to locate my axle placement, 60% would be 6ft back on a 5x10ft trailer.is this about right.

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » September 30th, 2015, 1:32 pm

I wish I had a definitive answer but some of that might depend on the height you get for your trailer base. My axle is mounted above the spring and I have about 10 inches clearance under the firebox. I'm thinking that under most situations this gives me adequate clearance on irregular mounds in the roadway. Possible an odd railroad crossing could cause it to drag a little but so far...there are no scrape marks on the bottom.

By the way... Water is a bit too warm yet for the striped bass to start heading this way... Tons of baitfish in the bay and back bay areas. Most of the other fishing is for Black Sea bass but unless you get something of size, it's only a test of wrist endurance...reeling them in and throwing them back. Although cocktail blues are out there and they can be a wild and crazy experience if a nice sized school runs under your boat #:-s. That's when you can call it catching not fishing

Return to “Trailer Fabrication”