Big vertical build

Let's hear about your ideas for smokers and grills.
Rudy

Big vertical build

Post by Rudy » March 27th, 2019, 10:06 am

Hi, new to the forum. I've been smoking for about a year so far. I bought a OK Joe offset on sale at Lowes, and modified it. Has been going strong, and produced a lot of tasty treats! I smoke 2-4 times a week. Modifications include a NG burner for the main heat source, and a pot above it for smoking wood (chips, chunks, small rounds, and pellets). I made my own tuning plates out of 1/2" thick flat bar. Works well, but my only complaint is that I can't get over 250F. It's rock steady 250F summer, winter, wind or calm. Normally this is what everyone looks to have. But, I want to be able to crank it up for certain things.

So, a few months ago I bought a steel hot water holding tank at an auction. It's 4 feet in diameter and 6 feet long. It weighs almost 1000lbs by itself, and I figure wall thickness is about 1/4" - 3/8". There's a big access hatch at one end. My plan is to stand it up, cut about 2 feet out of the center section, put in an 80,000 btu NG burner from Tejas smokers, with a cast iron pan above it for wood. The inspiration for this build comes from looking at kamados, but not being able to justify the $$$$ to get one.

There's quite a few other ideas for some of the finer details, but I'll share them as I go.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Chromeski
Expert
Expert

Re: Big vertical build

Post by Chromeski » March 27th, 2019, 3:21 pm

Sounds like your ok Joe is running great. I would keep that thing the way it is since it holds 250F so well. I think you just need a separate grill/ santa maria setup for cooking hot.
The new tank has a ton of potential just be careful using gas burners. I know your other build has been successful so far, just make sure you have all the necessary safety measures in place. Scary stuff if you get a tank like that full of unburned gas

Rudy

Post by Rudy » March 27th, 2019, 4:12 pm

Safety is important for sure. I had the OKJ blow out once or twice. I just open all the doors for a minute and relight.

There's a bunch of occasions where the OKJ is too small. The normal once a week for work is only for 3 guys, so it's a good size for that. But, we regularly have decent size parties, and depending what it is that's on the grill, it can fill up quick. The idea is to build a grill/smoker that is more capable, and can do more. I plan to build a griddle and will have a pizza stone setup, in addition to having lots of grilling space. These are things that the OKJ is not capable of. I plan to still keep it for smaller cooks, like the once a week for the boys at work. It's nice to have options.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » March 28th, 2019, 12:06 am

You did grill/smoker.

Remember, to do it right, you need to build a grill——and a smoker.

Return to “Other Smoker and Grill Designs”