Insulation question

Discussions about turning that old refrigerator into a Smoker
FOMOGO
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Insulation question

Post by FOMOGO » September 25th, 2015, 8:04 am

I have been a lurker here for a while and have learned a lot of good information. Now I have a question concerning insulation. I had a commercial refrigerator unit fall in my lap. After researching on the forums I have learned about the foam insulation problem. Is there anyway to figure out if this unit has foam insulation without tearing it apart? It is a nice unit and I hate to make a mess of it.

Second question. The racks are plastic coated. Will this be an issue with temps in the 225 to 275 range? I can make new racks but these are nice and fit already.

Final question. Any suggestions on a heat unit. I have 2 thoughts. A pellet cooker unit on each side or a cook top type burner inside with a deflector / grease pan above it.

Any and all input will be much appreciated.

Many thanks for sharing your knowledge.

FOMOGO

Rodcrafter

Re: Insulation question

Post by Rodcrafter » September 25th, 2015, 10:07 am

I never have made one of these but I can speak to the coating on the shelves. Plastic will not be ok in any cooking chamber. As for the insulation, if I was building it I would remove whatever is there and put the type I want so I know it is sound. As for the heat source, the pellet pooper is a good idea. You may need to add some cold air inlets also, as vertical cookers don't need a lot of heat so if it is too efficient the fire will go out on the pellet drive. Personally I would go with a charcoal basket instead, run it like an UDS.

Jm2cw

Making memories.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

FOMOGO

Post by FOMOGO » September 25th, 2015, 9:05 pm

Rodcrafter, thanks for the reply. I am leaning towards the pellet cooker units as this will be used inside of a restaurant. I don't want to tear this thing apart if I don't have to but I can if it is necessary. I wasn't real fond of the plastic rack coating but wasn't sure if anybody had any experience with it. I will just go ahead and build racks for it and make them slide out and have multiple positions. Just trying to help a friend out that has a great little BBQ restaurant but a POS little cooker. Thought this might be a simple solution for him to have an indoor smoker.

forty_creek
Expert
Expert
Title: 40 Ways 2 Kansas

Post by forty_creek » September 25th, 2015, 11:13 pm

Ditto RC!
He is the MAN, the MYTH, the LEGEND

Drankin, Smokin and Dreamin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRANKIN, SMOKIN and DREAMIN

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » September 26th, 2015, 11:58 am

FC you're too much.

Making memories.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

SweetSmokinBBQ

Post by SweetSmokinBBQ » November 13th, 2015, 9:02 am

I am getting ready to convert a commercial fridge myself and I have decided to go with a gravity feed burner. This system will burn 14-18 hours on one 20lb bag of lump. I plan on attaching a bbq guru to it then I should be able to walk away and let it cook. The only downside I have seen and tasted from pellets is that you don't get much smoke. That is the reason that I decided to go with a gravity flow.

Return to “Refrigerator Smokers”