new double pan gravity build

Also called Stump's Clone.
masaint
beginner
beginner

new double pan gravity build

Post by masaint » November 27th, 2020, 10:18 pm

I am doing it and am almost done, might see smoke tomorrow. I will post pics if I can figure it out. I have about a month of weekends in build time and a few dead soldiers laying around(thing that didn't work). It has been fun but alot of work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

masaint
beginner
beginner

Re: new double pan gravity build

Post by masaint » November 27th, 2020, 10:37 pm

I hope I am posting these right. Bottom if a pic of my fab shop. I have a 4 ft box and pan brake, that is my only advantage. I skinny wheeled my ass off!! If anyone is building with 16GA or less using flux core I highly recommend paying a sheetmetal shop to bend flanges to top and bottom and the drip edge for the door, It will make thing fitting and welding alot easier. I will post pics of mostly completed smoker in next couple days. I have doors on and have washed inside with soap and water and will spray with cooking oil and do first burn tomorrow if things go good.(still have to go fet coupler for thermometer in door)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dacolson
Expert
Expert
Title: Lucky and grateful
BBQ Comp Team Name: Only competing with myself

Post by dacolson » November 27th, 2020, 11:25 pm

Your build looks great, and welcome! Nice brake. Must be super handy. Could use one plenty of times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave C - QueNorth Smokers
Farmington, MN

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » November 29th, 2020, 12:25 am

:LG:

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » November 29th, 2020, 10:46 am

Great progress....can’t wait to hear how it cooks!

masaint
beginner
beginner

Post by masaint » November 29th, 2020, 9:49 pm

There is finally pic of finished smoker less paint Any ideas for paint other than black.would be great. I am looking at stove paint at 18$ a can. Ouch!! I got about 290 degrees around fire box and no more than 150 elsewhere. Smoker at about 375. Door therm is about 50deg. off. Sweating up charcoal chute normal? It was 30 degrees outside at startup. I cooked beer can chicken, chicken wings, thighs and 2 pork shoulders. They turned out great. I will post more pics and cooking as I consolidate pics from wife's phone.

tinspark
Expert
Expert
Title: Re-Member

Post by tinspark » November 29th, 2020, 11:45 pm

Masaint,
Looks real nice. Harbor Freight has a $12 (purple)gravity feed paint gun. I picked up one on sale for $7.
With this thing, you can buy a quart on teh cheap, and add a little lacquer thinner and have a lot more options.
I normally don't buy cheap, but a painter buddy of mine encouraged me to buy it. Then I had him come over and he painted my GF with the cheapster gun. It turned out great. I have another buddy who paints cars, and he said that those things aren't too bad.. I personally wouldn't [paint at car with it, but a smoker.....yep!! I have used it a few times since then, and just clean it up real good, break it down and throw it in a can with a lid to store.

Also, I do not see teh "transfer tube" at your furnace cc inlet. It is supposed to go from the furnace to teh opposite wall in your cc. Most guys install them on teh furnace, then slip teh whole thing in and through til it hits the opposite wall. Maybe the pics are hiding it? Man if you don't have that, you really need it!!. It acts as a heat sink and spreads the heat and smoke evenly on a level surface particularly. 1/4'" min. channel is best for a heat sink, since it spreads the heat more evenly than thinner materials. I made a custom channel outa 1/4" flat bar for mine...U Definitely need the transfer tube!!

Nice work!

Regards,
tinspark's the name buildin' "n" smokin's the game
Current build-GF:https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... 30#p114730
last build- Santa Maria Smoker:
https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... 04#p113904

Dargo
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict

Post by Dargo » November 30th, 2020, 8:01 pm

tinspark wrote:Masaint,
Looks real nice. Harbor Freight has a $12 (purple)gravity feed paint gun. I picked up one on sale for $7.
With this thing, you can buy a quart on teh cheap, and add a little lacquer thinner and have a lot more options.
I normally don't buy cheap, but a painter buddy of mine encouraged me to buy it. Then I had him come over and he painted my GF with the cheapster gun. It turned out great. I have another buddy who paints cars, and he said that those things aren't too bad.. I personally wouldn't [paint at car with it, but a smoker.....yep!! I have used it a few times since then, and just clean it up real good, break it down and throw it in a can with a lid to store.

Also, I do not see teh "transfer tube" at your furnace cc inlet. It is supposed to go from the furnace to teh opposite wall in your cc. Most guys install them on teh furnace, then slip teh whole thing in and through til it hits the opposite wall. Maybe the pics are hiding it? Man if you don't have that, you really need it!!. It acts as a heat sink and spreads the heat and smoke evenly on a level surface particularly. 1/4'" min. channel is best for a heat sink, since it spreads the heat more evenly than thinner materials. I made a custom channel outa 1/4" flat bar for mine...U Definitely need the transfer tube!!

Nice work!
He has it. Zoom into the pic with the food.

Dargo
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict

Post by Dargo » November 30th, 2020, 8:05 pm

I second Tinspark’s suggestion.

I painted mine with automotive paint and clear coat.

Many colors to choose from.

masaint
beginner
beginner

Post by masaint » December 2nd, 2020, 12:42 pm

Thanks for the advice on paint guys, with hf gun and bulk paint I can definitely see savings. In using my smoker I have noticed long recovery times. The need to open door to check food temp and long dial in times have led me to believe I need auto temp control. I have looked at a few of them and need some advice. I am worried about big enough fan, but don't want to blow too much ash on food. Any help is appreciated. I am going from master built electric smoker to double pan gravity , it seems to be a jump. I was surprised how nervous I was to light first fire!!

Dargo
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict

Post by Dargo » December 2nd, 2020, 1:10 pm

Recovery times are definitely slower on these.

I would look into wireless temp probs for your meat. That way only reason to open door is to remove meat or wrap if you do.

Tinspark can talk about his experience on fan control, but from his last update even with a fan it is relatively slow recovery.

Fan control is good for set it and forget/ sleep time. Slow recovery is the function of how large and efficient these cookers are. Relatively small fire and airflow.

JKalchik
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by JKalchik » December 2nd, 2020, 1:33 pm

I put a bigger fan assembly on my double pan earlier this year, apparently the earlier fan was just not up to the task. Heats up in about 30 minutes, and recovery time is only 5-10 minutes at most.

"Measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with fireaxe." Ted M., USCG (ret)
"Smoked pork. It belongs in me." Giles L

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » December 3rd, 2020, 10:58 am

Every time you open your door, you loose heat and extend the cooking time. The goal is to open your door to put the meat on, and once to pull it. I may open one more time on big cuts to wrap but that’s it. As mentioned, if you are more than that, it is first time for a couple of remote thermometers. I run one/two on my rack to get pit temp and one/three in my meats. Seems like a pretty simple change but it is a game changer.

tinspark
Expert
Expert

Post by tinspark » December 3rd, 2020, 1:27 pm

masaint wrote:
December 2nd, 2020, 12:42 pm
Thanks for the advice on paint guys, with hf gun and bulk paint I can definitely see savings. In using my smoker I have noticed long recovery times. The need to open door to check food temp and long dial in times have led me to believe I need auto temp control. I have looked at a few of them and need some advice. I am worried about big enough fan, but don't want to blow too much ash on food. Any help is appreciated. I am going from master built electric smoker to double pan gravity , it seems to be a jump. I was surprised how nervous I was to light first fire!!
I have the Flameboss 500 which I purchased here. It helps a bunch. It gives you control with your smartphone or at the controller. There is an audible alarm on the controller if things get too far off of the set point as well as an alert on your phone. They give you one meat probe and on CC temp probe with option to purchase two more probes. It allows you to monitor your cook on the app as well as make adjustments away from the cooker. If you ask for more heat, the fan ramps up until it hits a set point, and ramps down once its there. It also gives you a fan ramp-up percentage. This is handy, because in the middle of a cook, if you notice that the fan has kicked up for some reason, two things could be happening. Low fuel or ash buildup on the coal grate. Either one takes seconds to fix. either shake the grate or add fuel. simplifies things and has taken all stress out of the cook for me.. I even got some sleep during a brisket cook a few weeks ago. I like mine and would recommend anyone with a GF to get one, or a similar brand.

Regards,

masaint
beginner
beginner

Post by masaint » December 11th, 2020, 10:18 pm

Hello out there. Thanks for all the advice on paint. I have a friend with a heated shop and will paint it next weekend with automotive paint and 15$ hf purple gun. I have solved my recovery time problem with a smoke controller and fan, cannot be happier with it. It keeps cook chamber within 2 deg. of set temp. Unbelievable!! I have done about 4 cooking sessions in it which included 2 shoulders and the rest chicken, longest cook time 5 hrs(pork butts) I know you are supposed to cook longer but I am dialing in. I would like to say I couldn't be happier, but I have just been "cooking' and not "smoking". I have yet to detect any smoke flavor from this thing. I have been using lump charcoal (oak and hickory) and have put raw chunk and chips in ashbox, have soaked chips. Everything seems traegered. I cooked chicken thighs for 4 hours and took them with me to work(I work out of town) and ate it 2 days later and detected no smoke flavor and have comment from family and friend about lack of smoke. There is also very little color on my food almost like air fried. I am stumped. I hope someone can help me out with this. Is this normal for a Gravity feed? Other than that this thing behaves better than expected. Fire dies when I close everything and with fan and controller temp is very stable and predictable. Now all I need is smoke!!. any help is appeciated. I will post pics of paint job as soon as it is done. thanx.

tinspark
Expert
Expert

Post by tinspark » December 12th, 2020, 12:13 am

are you wrapping your meat at some point? When I did a brisket in mine a few weeks back, the first 8 hours or so was directly on teh x-panded metal cook grate. Then I wrapped in paper to get a bark on the meat. When I do ribs, its kinda the same thing. 3 hours in the smoke, 2 hours wrapped (foil) then about an hour back on the grate. I have had a lot of compliments about smokiness not being too strong, but very tasty.
Are you closing the top damper 60-70% once your up to temp to keep some of the heat and smoke in? I do not really consider myself an expert on my GF yet, so maybe some of the "real chefs/experts" with a GF can chime in. If your using pans, maybe ditch the pan and try directly on the grate. I admit I am more experienced in teh builder end of teh "smoker builder" thing! Also, try switching up your lump. I have used both lump and Kingsford charcoal in mine, teh lump tasted a little milder to me..... switch fuel and see if there is a taste difference..

Also, what did you use for your transfer tube? How thick is the material. I am still not seeing it in teh pictures that you posted. You do have one, correct?

Regards,

dacolson
Expert
Expert
Title: Lucky and grateful
BBQ Comp Team Name: Only competing with myself

Post by dacolson » December 12th, 2020, 12:58 am

I don’t use a gravity fed but I do a lot on my big green egg - even low and slow for single butts or a single chicken - and without wood, all I get is a hint of smoke. With straight charcoal you get mostly just heat. You should add chunks, not chips to your burn chamber/ash pan. You need raw wood for the smoke flavor. Don’t soak the wood either. It will smolder and you’ll get bitter smoke. Thick/white smoke is bad. Just a few fist sized chunks for the first few hours. That’s been my experience on my ceramic cooker.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dave C - QueNorth Smokers
Farmington, MN

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » December 12th, 2020, 4:27 am

:yth:

Cut some chunks the size of your fist. You could also try laying a chunk inside the CC on top of the transfer tube. Should be hot enough to make it smolder.

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Return to “Gravity Feed Smokers (GF)”