DoublePan Gravity Feed DIY Kit help

Also called Stump's Clone.
kingpapawawa
beginner
beginner

DoublePan Gravity Feed DIY Kit help

Post by kingpapawawa » October 18th, 2020, 8:15 pm

Anyone that has built the DoublePan or bought the prebuilt one... I have some questions and am looking for some help.

1. What charcoal are you using? I have used 3 different brands and all of them clog up on top of the plate. I have to go jiggle it every 6 hours or so to let the ash fall thru. most of the time 0 ash has fallen thru on its own.

2. Are you able to cook anything on the bottom grate? Anything I cook on it burns. I only use it for 2 full pans with some water in them.

3. Do you find that you have to rotate butts and brisket? ive cooked 200 butts and 60 briskets in mine in the last 30 days and for the last 25 days I have been rotating them 180 degrees after 4 hours and rotating their position on the racks left to right also. Otherwise the side closest to the chute is done way early. have butts that temp 200 on one side and 170 on the other side of the same butt.

4. Im using a flameboss 500 and cooking at 250. How far open should I be keeping the stack?

5. Has anyone added a tuning plate above the heat chute inside the chamber?

Appreciate any help/feedback available. Im not really enjoying my first gravity fed experience and thinking of returning to my 500 gallon reverse flow...

JKalchik
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: DoublePan Gravity Feed DIY Kit help

Post by JKalchik » October 19th, 2020, 7:32 am

#1 I use natural lump. The ash bridging is far worse with briquettes as they produce 4-5x more ash. I run an ATC, and since I put together a much larger fan assembly, the bridging problem is greatly reduced. Between Friday night and Saturday, I ran a 20lb bag of B+B natural lump straight without issue. My grate is built with 1/2" spacing, but I am thinking about building another with 3/4" spacing.

#2 I see about a 50 degree F disparity between the lowest rack and the highest, after 3-4 hours of burn. Initially, it's much higher.

#3 I've always oriented food so that the bigger/larger/fatter side is oriented towards the firebox. One thing about this design, the C-channel really does need to be dead level, in both directions.

#4 With my HeaterMeter, I open the stack about 1/3 to run 225-275 F. The joys of a positive draft system.

#5 Haven't even contemplated this.

I walked away from a leaky horizontal offset to build this GF, and I've had multiple people tell me I've ruined barbecue for them. Shoot, I saw a cousin in August for the first time in a couple of years and before he even said hello, he asked me "Are you still smoking?" I'm thoroughly happy with mine.

"Measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with fireaxe." Ted M., USCG (ret)
"Smoked pork. It belongs in me." Giles L

kingpapawawa
beginner
beginner

Post by kingpapawawa » October 19th, 2020, 11:39 am

JKalchik wrote:
October 19th, 2020, 7:32 am
#1 I use natural lump.
is there one you like better than others? I'm worried about bridging here also. do you break up any overly large pieces or just dump the contents?

JKalchik
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by JKalchik » October 19th, 2020, 1:11 pm

I've had just 1 bridge in 2 years. I just dump in the bag, no sorting or anything. You certainly don't want to pack down the stack, the lid should not put any pressure on the charcoal.

As far as preferences, I've been using B+B as well as Rockwood. I run the same stuff in both the smoker and the charcoal grill. I don't care for Cowboy or Frontier brands, I've had problems with major fountains of sparks from a chimney full in my grill. Royal Oak.... stopped buying that when I found a big chunk of clinker in the bag (read: non-burnable material,) and that's not what I'm paying for. Fortunately, I found that in my grill, and not in my smoker (yes, I view the removable grate as being an absolutely mandatory feature.) I would also expect the BGE branded charcoal to be pretty good, I do have a local supplier, but it's rather pricey.

"Measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with fireaxe." Ted M., USCG (ret)
"Smoked pork. It belongs in me." Giles L

dacolson
Expert
Expert
Title: Lucky and grateful
BBQ Comp Team Name: Only competing with myself

Post by dacolson » October 19th, 2020, 6:16 pm

JKalchik wrote:
October 19th, 2020, 1:11 pm
I've had just 1 bridge in 2 years. I just dump in the bag, no sorting or anything. You certainly don't want to pack down the stack, the lid should not put any pressure on the charcoal.

As far as preferences, I've been using B+B as well as Rockwood. I run the same stuff in both the smoker and the charcoal grill. I don't care for Cowboy or Frontier brands, I've had problems with major fountains of sparks from a chimney full in my grill. Royal Oak.... stopped buying that when I found a big chunk of clinker in the bag (read: non-burnable material,) and that's not what I'm paying for. Fortunately, I found that in my grill, and not in my smoker (yes, I view the removable grate as being an absolutely mandatory feature.) I would also expect the BGE branded charcoal to be pretty good, I do have a local supplier, but it's rather pricey.
Big Green Egg is rebranded Royal Oak. I'm a no on that brand for the same reasons - lots of asphalt in the bags for both Royal and BGE. Jealous Devil, Fogo, Rockwood, B&B, The Good One - all of these are great. Fogo has some monster pieces in the bag you may want to bust up - like 12" branches. They all burn hot and leave a lot less ash.

Dave C - QueNorth Smokers
Farmington, MN

Return to “Gravity Feed Smokers (GF)”