How to get Ground and Polished Corners

Tips and tricks for everything related to finishing your smoker.
bigpappa1
beginner
beginner

How to get Ground and Polished Corners

Post by bigpappa1 » January 29th, 2020, 9:57 pm

I've got a question for anyone who knows their fabricating: how do you get the corners of a smoker (or anything, I guess) to look nice and rounded and polished? What I'm talking about is like where the edge of the pipe of the main cooking chamber meets the welded on cap at the end. There are some manufacturers out there that leave the welds showing and raw, maybe they hit them with a flap wheel, and there are some out there who really round those corners over and make them look amazing. My making a smoker myself (aside from cost and pain factor) nearly hinges on whether or not I could achieve that nice of a look. I wish I could show you a picture, but I can't seem to figure out how to post.

Another quick question: is there a plan that has something like a 24" chamber that's 36" or 48" long and has a square firebox and square warmer? The 24x42 with the warmer and square firebox looks like it has a round warmer. I would think the racks would be difficult to make in that one.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: How to get Ground and Polished Corners

Post by Big T » January 29th, 2020, 10:27 pm

I wish I had a picture to show you but I'll try to explain it the best that I can. It's really about the prep work, you have to either put a good bevel on the joint that you're going to weld or cut your metal short so that you have a gap to fill with your weld. The next step is to have your machine set properly and run your beads at the correct speed so that it just slightly overfills the joint that you left open then you take a flap wheel and polish the corners. If you don't have the corners beveled deep enough the you won't have enough weld in the joints and it will crack once you polish them up. It takes a good bit of effort to achieve those crisp, straight corners but with some patience and practice it isn't impossible. As for the smoker plans, I believe that the WC's are square but they appear to be round in the generic drawings on the site. Also if you don't see exactly what you're looking for you can call the number on the site and speak to Frank, he can get you fixed up.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

bigpappa1
beginner
beginner

Post by bigpappa1 » January 29th, 2020, 11:00 pm

I've got a question for anyone who knows their fabricating: how do you get the corners of a smoker (or anything, I guess) to look nice and rounded and polished? What I'm talking about is like where the edge of the pipe of the main cooking chamber meets the welded on cap at the end. There are some manufacturers out there that leave the welds showing and raw, maybe they hit them with a flap wheel, and there are some out there who really round those corners over and make them look amazing. My making a smoker myself (aside from cost and pain factor) nearly hinges on whether or not I could achieve that nice of a look. I wish I could show you a picture, but I can't seem to figure out how to post.

Another quick question: is there a plan that has something like a 24" chamber that's 36" or 48" long and has a square firebox and square warmer? The 24x42 with the warmer and square firebox looks like it has a round warmer. I would think the racks would be difficult to make in that one.
Hey Big T, thanks for the response. I had a hunch that it was something like what you described. I imagined that if you just went straight to grinding without having some extra weld bead in there you would probably grind so much that you would expose the joint and have to do it again. Basically what you're saying is that you need to build up the corner and then grind it back. I'm guessing if you really want to put the polish on it you take a sander around the edge and clean it up super nice.

Thank you also for the heads up on the plan. I kind of figured that it was square, but sometimes you never know when to trust the drawing shown. I'll ping Frank just to be sure. Thanks again!

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » January 29th, 2020, 11:12 pm

Yep...like big t said...lotta prep and some time with a flap wheel. Personally, I use an 80 grit for the rough stuff then touch it up with a 120 grit wheel. The 120s are hard for me to find most of the time however so I tend to order them from granger.

The “free smoker plans” that frank has is exactly what you are looking for. It definitely has a square firebox and warmer on a 24x48 pipe. I built one a while back before it was free plans but it works awesome just the same.

bigpappa1
beginner
beginner

Post by bigpappa1 » January 29th, 2020, 11:23 pm

Yep...like big t said...lotta prep and some time with a flap wheel. Personally, I use an 80 grit for the rough stuff then touch it up with a 120 grit wheel. The 120s are hard for me to find most of the time however so I tend to order them from granger.

The “free smoker plans” that frank has is exactly what you are looking for. It definitely has a square firebox and warmer on a 24x48 pipe. I built one a while back before it was free plans but it works awesome just the same
That's an amazing deal, and this is going to sound like I'm being picky as hell; but I just don't quite have the room for that big of a guy in my garage. Quite frankly. a 24x36 with a smaller warming cabinet would be about perfect. I would normally say bigger is better, but most of the time that big guy is going to sit there with something like two racks of ribs on it. I hate to waste all that space...

McBroom
Expert
Expert
Title: Retired U.S.Marine
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by McBroom » January 29th, 2020, 11:43 pm

Dirtytires wrote:Yep...like big t said...lotta prep and some time with a flap wheel. Personally, I use an 80 grit for the rough stuff then touch it up with a 120 grit wheel. The 120s are hard for me to find most of the time however so I tend to order them from granger.

The “free smoker plans” that frank has is exactly what you are looking for. It definitely has a square firebox and warmer on a 24x48 pipe. I built one a while back before it was free plans but it works awesome just the same.
Get the flap discs at Harbor Freight Tools. They always have em in stock

Claud McBroom

JKalchik
Expert
Expert
Title: Member

Post by JKalchik » January 30th, 2020, 8:08 am

McBroom wrote:
January 29th, 2020, 11:43 pm

Claud McBroom
After using media from Pferd (Pferd-USA,) from my LWS, I'll use those very preferentially over just about anything else. They rremove material faster, with a better surface, and last longer. Okay, they are a little more expensive. They've also got some nifty grinding discs that are folded over that work great for inside corners.

"Measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with fireaxe." Ted M., USCG (ret)
"Smoked pork. It belongs in me." Giles L

McBroom
Expert
Expert

Post by McBroom » January 30th, 2020, 8:11 pm

JKalchik wrote:
McBroom wrote:
January 29th, 2020, 11:43 pm

Claud McBroom
After using media from Pferd (Pferd-USA,) from my LWS, I'll use those very preferentially over just about anything else. They rremove material faster, with a better surface, and last longer. Okay, they are a little more expensive. They've also got some nifty grinding discs that are folded over that work great for inside corners.
Hmm sounds great. Would you happen to have a link to that supplier?

Claud McBroom

JKalchik
Expert
Expert

Post by JKalchik » January 30th, 2020, 9:31 pm

McBroom wrote:
January 30th, 2020, 8:11 pm

Claud McBroom
[/quote]

This is the manufacturer: https://www.pferdusa.com/

Take a look at https://www.pferdusa.com/products/206h/ ... 0101P.html

I've been getting these from Toll Gas, but they're local to Minnesota, and I'm pretty sure they don't do mail order. Check your local welding supplier.

"Measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with fireaxe." Ted M., USCG (ret)

bigpappa1
beginner
beginner

Post by bigpappa1 » January 31st, 2020, 11:51 am

For what it's worth, I would suggest using 3M Cubitron II flap wheels. I used to rep 3M and the Cubitron II is unmatched in material removal, finish, and lifespan. They aren't cheap, but you'll be amazed at how fast they remove material and how long they last. I was trained on them at 3M's campus in St.Paul Minnesota and they are unreal. If you don't believe me, buy just one from your local welding supply, and try it out. You will NOT be disappointed.

JKalchik
Expert
Expert

Post by JKalchik » January 31st, 2020, 7:26 pm

I know 3M makes good abrasives.... that's why the graffiti in the restroom stalls in college always said "Another fine abrasive from 3M!"

I haven't seen 3M wheels locally. Might have to go looking.

McBroom
Expert
Expert

Post by McBroom » January 31st, 2020, 8:24 pm

JKalchik wrote:
McBroom wrote:
January 30th, 2020, 8:11 pm

Claud McBroom
This is the manufacturer: https://www.pferdusa.com/

Take a look at https://www.pferdusa.com/products/206h/ ... 0101P.html

I've been getting these from Toll Gas, but they're local to Minnesota, and I'm pretty sure they don't do mail order. Check your local welding supplier.[/quote]Thanks,
I'll do that. Airgas is local and another supplier here too

Claud McBroom

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » February 3rd, 2020, 11:45 am

I’ll ditto the comment for avoiding the cheap disks. Took me a while to realize it but the more expensive/quality wheels will last longer, cut/grind better and be cheaper in the long run due to longevity and less wear on your grinder.

Super excited for the info on the 3m....I’ll have to try them.

tinspark
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder
BBQ Comp Team Name: Nope, never even fired up a smoker- Aaaaaaye!
Just joshing!!

Post by tinspark » April 26th, 2020, 10:04 pm

I know that this is a little late, But I have been very happy with Roark Supply.
They have had package deals in the past which are very reasonable..
spend $100 clams and get free shipping.
https://www.roarksupply.com/
They carry 3M and pearl and some other stuff too. May be worth bookmarking their website.
I found them in a CNC Plasma Cutting forum that I also participate in..
Regards all!.
DM

Regards,
tinspark

Return to “Fabrication How to's”