Golf cart wheels

Tips and tricks for everything related to finishing your smoker.
MitchMcGiggin
beginner
beginner

Golf cart wheels

Postby MitchMcGiggin » August 7th, 2017, 9:58 pm

So I just introduced myself today over in the introduction forum. But now down to business.

I've used the search function but I haven't been able to find anyone who shows how you fab golf cart wheels onto a smoker build.

If anyone has done this what do I need to buy. Hub and spindle? I like the way the Yoder Comp models utilize these but I don't have a lot of experience with axles and wheel hubs. If anyone knows of a build where the builder went into detail on how to pull this off....please direct me their way. Thanks!

Big T
Expert
Expert
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: Golf cart wheels

Postby Big T » August 7th, 2017, 10:55 pm

I've seen a couple in person but I can't remember any builds on the forum that went into detail or had any pictures of how they done it. You would need 5 spindle/hub assemblies(4 for the wheels and 1 for the steering) and some pipe or tubing for the axles. The axles are pretty straight forward, just cut the tubing/pipe to the required length and weld the spindles on the ends. The pivot for the steering is a little more complicated to describe but you would weld the spindle to the bottom of the under carriage (facing down) and weld a plate in the center of the front axle with holes for the hub to bolt in to. Install the hub onto the spindle, slide the axle plate on the studs and bolt them together. The hard part in all of that is making sure that the cooker is level after both axles are mounted. It isn't as tough to accomplish as I made it sound.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

MitchMcGiggin
beginner
beginner

Postby MitchMcGiggin » August 8th, 2017, 9:37 am

Big T, thanks. That's basically what I had in mind although I was thinking a flange mounted pillow block bearing and a shaft for steering but I like your idea better. I was just hoping to gain a little confidence by seeing someone else's. Trial and error can be costly lol

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Postby Rodcrafter » August 9th, 2017, 8:58 am

You can look at some of these type systems on TQ and Tyler's web site it's called;

http://www.shirleyfabrication.com/product/patio-24x60

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Big T
Expert
Expert
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Postby Big T » August 9th, 2017, 6:58 pm

:yth:

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Weldun
Expert
Expert
Title: I'm no expert

Postby Weldun » August 9th, 2017, 8:08 pm

Out of curiosity I did a search for " go kart steering parts" and seems there might be some economical solutions available but what Rodcrafter found looks pretty stylish and substantial.

Grandma always said "if ya can't be handsome ya better at least be handy"

Rockinar

Postby Rockinar » August 11th, 2017, 12:13 am

Wagon wheel method would by the most simple.

MitchMcGiggin
beginner
beginner

Postby MitchMcGiggin » August 19th, 2017, 11:31 am

I've stayed on this topic and no doubt the spindle/hub as the steering mechanism is how the major players in the industry are doing it. Keep in mind the weight that this central steering point has to support ...

Tractor supply has the best price I've found for spindle hub combo that is 1"3/8 spindle and hub at $83.00 in PA

Weldun
Expert
Expert
Title: I'm no expert

Postby Weldun » August 19th, 2017, 5:32 pm

MitchMcGiggin wrote:I've stayed on this topic and no doubt the spindle/hub as the steering mechanism is how the major players in the industry are doing it. Keep in mind the weight that this central steering point has to support ...

Tractor supply has the best price I've found for spindle hub combo that is 1"3/8 spindle and hub at $83.00 in PA

Give this place a look, I've purchased items from them.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... railer+hub

Grandma always said "if ya can't be handsome ya better at least be handy"

MitchMcGiggin
beginner
beginner

Postby MitchMcGiggin » August 21st, 2017, 7:11 pm

Wow good find. I've bought stuff from them before, never thought to look for hubs and spindles there. Thanks

Return to “Fabrication How to's”