Yet another exhaust stack question.

All the calculators you'll need to design your own smoker.
bswisher
Just Got in trouble for buying tools
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Yet another exhaust stack question.

Post by bswisher » December 12th, 2017, 3:34 pm

I will apologize in advance if this has been covered but I wasn't able to find it. I have all of my calculations done using the pit calc etc. I installed my stack (3.75 ID, 23 inches long) about midway between the upper and lower racks.. 20" x48" tank, RF plate 3.75 off bottom of the tank, top of lower rack 5.25 above RF plate, and bottom of top rack 6" above top of lower rack. My question is.. should the stack be cut at a 45 or is it ok to leave the bottom cut at 90 degrees?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Current Smokers, Brinkman ECB, Masterbuilt 30 Analog, SmokeHollow Pro44, Home Built 60gal RF, UDS

Nothing wrong with being stupid as long as you know you're stupid, it's when you're stupid and don't know it that you become dangerous

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!

Re: Yet another exhaust stack question.

Post by Squiggle » December 12th, 2017, 4:05 pm

It's really up to you, the smoke will exit the smoker no matter which way you have the bottom. I personally like the angled bottom, but many other have made kickass smokers with the flat bottom as well. :kewl:

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » December 13th, 2017, 12:48 pm

:yth:

The length you decided on was measured from the top of the CC right? You don't count what is below that.

jm2cw

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

bswisher

Post by bswisher » December 13th, 2017, 5:18 pm

I have seen discussions claiming that it is measured from the top, some say the bottom and others say it didn't matter. I chose to go with the idea that it is drawing through the volume of pipe required for the correct velocity and that it didn't matter where that length starts or stops. If it is too short I can always extend it.

Current Smokers, Brinkman ECB, Masterbuilt 30 Analog, SmokeHollow Pro44, Home Built 60gal RF, UDS

Nothing wrong with being stupid as long as you know you're stupid, it's when you're stupid and don't know it that you become dangerous

bswisher

Post by bswisher » December 13th, 2017, 5:29 pm

This is what I have right now
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mp4
Expert
Expert
Title: Independent Thinker
BBQ Comp Team Name: Just a few backyard for fun competitions.

Post by mp4 » December 14th, 2017, 5:22 am

Personally, I would cut it at an angle. I lean towards giving the smoke the least path of resistance out of the stack so you don't get a pocket of stale smoke hanging out somewhere in your cook chamber.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr

Post by ajfoxy » December 14th, 2017, 6:36 pm

:yth:

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » December 18th, 2017, 10:50 am

:LG:

That will work great!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Return to “SmokerBuilder® Calculators”