Electric Smoker Design and Build

Discussion about Electric Smokers
Jeff Rassier

Electric Smoker Design and Build

Post by Jeff Rassier » June 26th, 2018, 2:55 pm

First, thanks for the add. I can tell I will benefit from the wisdom of folks here.

I'm about to start the build on an electric smoker. Most parts have been purchased and I'm fairly confident in my design, but have few questions that I'd appreciate some advice on.

1) The interior of the cabinet will be lined with aluminum sheet (.025), beneath that will be two layers of fiberglass welding blanket, then plywood. My only big concern is whether I can reliably rivet the aluminum angle rack supports through the plywood. With temps in 275-300 F range, would the rivets eventually lose their grip and pull through the plywood?

Thanks,

Jeff

P.S. I'm fairly decent with design and fabrication. It aint a smoker, but here's the 20 gallons brewing system I designed and built.
Image Image

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Electric Smoker Design and Build

Post by ajfoxy » June 26th, 2018, 4:48 pm

Welcome to the crew... what did you brew?

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » June 26th, 2018, 9:07 pm

Welcome aboard! So it's a plywood exterior cabinet with welding blankets for insulation and an aluminum interior that has aluminum angle for rack guides ? Is the interior aluminum attached to the exterior ?

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Pete Mazz
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » June 27th, 2018, 5:00 am

.025 or .25? .025 seems really thin. Batt insulation is better. I'd be concerned about directly connecting to plywood .

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » June 27th, 2018, 6:26 am

Not sure fiberglass welding blanket is a good insulator. Wood actually is actually better so I might just forget the blanket and use a 7/8 to 1 inch plywood. Screw right too it...no rivots.

Steel is better for a smoker tho.....

Jeff Rassier

Post by Jeff Rassier » June 27th, 2018, 7:24 am

Sorry I didn't explain the design of my box completely. The welding blanket would NOT be the only insulation: it would only be a heat barrier between the aluminum lining and the first layer of plywood. There would also be 1.5" of insulation and an exterior layer of plywood.

Below is a picture of my temperature controlled fermentation box I built for brewing. My smoker would be similar, but with the interior lined in aluminum sheet backed with two layers of welding blanket. (Obviously, there wouldn't be a mini-fridge on top of the smoker.)

Although I do weld, I won't be making this smoker from steel...I may do steel in the future. I want this smoker to be light and portable. I often travel to my brother's house on Dauphin Island in the Gulf where we fish. I want this smoker to be one that I can throw in the back of the truck with my fishing kayak and go. I also want this one to be electric so we can go out fishing and not have to tend the smoker: just set the PID controllers, light the A-MAZE-N pellet burner and GO FISHING.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member

Post by Rodcrafter » June 27th, 2018, 7:41 am

:welcome:

Welcome to the crew!

Your design is so much different than anything I've seen I wouldn't want to guess at the answer. I would rather recommend an UDS and you could sill move it easy and use a controller to accomplish the same goals with a lot less costs and work.

jm2cw

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Jeff Rassier

Post by Jeff Rassier » June 27th, 2018, 10:27 am

Thanks for all the kind welcomes and advise! I understand the wisdom of everyone that suggested steel. I know it would be much easier to go with steel, but it simply isn't going to hold up in a constant saltwater breeze at the boathouse. As well, there is the portability factor and I am very concerned with thermal efficiency with this being a 1200w electric smoker.

I've given further thought to thermally isolating the fasteners and sheet aluminum from the plywood and think I have it worked out. I'll post pics of the build and results. I'm looking forward to going electric. Frankly, I'm just too old to tend a my steel offset for 16 hours to do this...

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » June 27th, 2018, 8:26 pm

Sorry I couldn't help you out. I don't doubt that you can make your design work, I just don't have any experience with such a design and I wouldn't want to steer you wrong. Those are some good looking butts in the picture. I see that you mentioned Dauphin Island, that's in my neck of the woods so to speak. We launch from Billy Goat Hole and fish in the Gulf and the sound, beautiful place and good fishing too. Maybe you could post some pictures when you get your smoker built, it may help someone out in the future.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr

Post by ajfoxy » June 27th, 2018, 8:29 pm

I think you have worked out what you want to do... which is a good thing. Now go build it and then show us how you did it. Otherwise you will be second guessing yourself.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Return to “Electric Smokers”