Dishwasher Smoker

Discussion about Electric Smokers
thumper_65590

Dishwasher Smoker

Post by thumper_65590 » November 18th, 2016, 9:21 pm

Ok, this may sound a little weird, but let me run an idea past everyone. I have access to a stainless steel dishwasher. Heating element is good, just leaks from the pump, hence the reason it was scrapped. Anyway, I thought about wiring the element to a pid (its 110), and then somehow, get a smoke generator plumbed in through the bottom, as its already got the hole there for the drain from its previous life. Does this sound like it might work? Gotta figure out something soon, gotta smoke the ham and turkey for thanksgiving, and my old smoker is about to fall apart. Thanks everyone

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Dishwasher Smoker

Post by Squiggle » November 18th, 2016, 9:49 pm

Sounds like an interesting idea, although I wouldn't worry about pumping the smoke in I would use a smoke generator like the one below, not sure what the name of them is but they seem to work pretty well sitting in the bottom of the unit & then you just heat it with the element. I think you might find you'll only be able to hot smoke stuff, about 60-80degC. I think it will be hard to get to higher 135-145degC (about 275-300F) for BBQing. :kewl:

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

mp4
Expert
Expert
Title: Independent Thinker
BBQ Comp Team Name: Just a few backyard for fun competitions.

Post by mp4 » November 19th, 2016, 6:09 am

You could always add a stove element to it if it doesn't make enough heat. I helped a guy do that with a smoker he would hang sausage in to keep the temps up when he figured there was enough smoke.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » November 19th, 2016, 8:12 am

I think you should check the insulation to see if it can take the temperature you need. The UDS is the quickest to make and most efficient to use. If I wanted to have a quality smoker before thanksgiving that is what I would build.

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » November 20th, 2016, 1:07 pm

:yth: You can build a basic UDS in a few hours once you have the materials on hand and it's hard to beat them dollar for dollar.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Return to “Electric Smokers”