First attempt at building a Standard Offset - need help

Horizontal smokers with a side firebox and tuning plates.
Wanderer

First attempt at building a Standard Offset - need help

Post by Wanderer » May 9th, 2018, 10:58 am

Hello all,
This is my first attempt to build a standard offset smoker.
We don't have big propane tanks here in my country and so have been looking around for other alternatives.
I don't have tools and experience with metal works and have to get this done in a local metal workshop.
So using thick sheet metal is very costly for me and doesn't come within my budget constraints right now.

After much looking around, I came across this 10mm thick, 18" diameter and 71" long metal pipe in a
local scrap yard for a reasonable price:

It also has reinforcement rings inside which needs to be removed I guess:

My question is for a pipe of this thickness and diameter what is the optimum length that I can go for?
Currently I'm planning on building a 48" CC. So please take a look at the calculations below from the
pit calculator and let me know if you have any suggestions/corrections:

I'm aiming to stay around the recommended size as much as possible.

I also found there another pipe of 6mm thickness, 27" diameter and 56" length. Is it also a viable
option for building a standard offset smoker? Was wondering, since may be its a bit thin for a 27"
diameter pipe, will it have heat retention/stabilization issues?

I'm hoping a 10mm thick shell is not too thick to have any issues for an 18" diameter pipe.
Also, how does the thickness of the pipe affect the calculations from the pit calculator?
Please let me know what you guys suggest.

Thanks!

AndrewPalmer71
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel
Title: SmokinAddict
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: First attempt at building a Standard Offset - need help

Post by AndrewPalmer71 » May 9th, 2018, 11:56 am

For the right price I would buy both, and think about how to use them later

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by ajfoxy » May 9th, 2018, 4:35 pm

:yth: But only if the price is right.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » May 9th, 2018, 7:23 pm

The 10 mm will work great, it takes just a little bit longer for the steel to stabilize in temperature but it isn't affected as easy by the wind as a thinner CC would be. Your numbers are spot on but I like to go just a little bigger than the pit calculator recommends just to have a little extra in the tank so to speak. I usually end up in the 105%-115% range max.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Pete Mazz
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » May 10th, 2018, 3:59 am

The answer to how big is how much? Food, that is. :D If you're only cooking a few racks of ribs or a pork shoulder or two, you won't need much. If you want to do whole hog or feed an army, different story.

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Wanderer

Post by Wanderer » May 11th, 2018, 4:53 am

Big T wrote:The 10 mm will work great, it takes just a little bit longer for the steel to stabilize in temperature but it isn't affected as easy by the wind as a thinner CC would be. Your numbers are spot on but I like to go just a little bigger than the pit calculator recommends just to have a little extra in the tank so to speak. I usually end up in the 105%-115% range max.
Thanks for the heads-up... I bought the 10mm pipe today and will be building everything else based around it.

AndrewPalmer71 wrote:For the right price I would buy both, and think about how to use them later Image
Yes, good thought... esp, coz finding pipe of that dimension and thickness is rare here but have a budget constraint...
Got the 10mm, 18" x 48" pipe for about $200 and I guess the larger diameter 6mm one would cost a little more than that.
So gonna finish the first one and save cash later for the second one after that.
Pete Mazz wrote:The answer to how big is how much? Food, that is. :D If you're only cooking a few racks of ribs or a pork shoulder or two, you won't need much. If you want to do whole hog or feed an army, different story.
:yth: I'm thinking of building one that can cook enough for about 15-20 people. So hoping 48" CC should suffice!
but again that depends upon their appetite... :D

I'm thinking of using at least 10mm sheet metal for FB. Will it be totally warp proof or do I have to use 1/2" for that?
Also, can I go thin on smoke stack like 1/4" or even 1/8" or does it need to be of same thickness as CC as well?

Will be updating as it progresses.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » May 11th, 2018, 12:17 pm

My FB is 3/8” and I haven’t had any issues. You don’t need a raging fire so it shouldn’t warp. The stack doesn’t have to be a certain thickness as far as performance goes but I wouldn’t go to thin because it’s harder to weld.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Return to “Standard Offsets”