Needing some help from the builders here.

Horizontal smokers with a side firebox and tuning plates.
cjohnson28
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Needing some help from the builders here.

Post by cjohnson28 » April 2nd, 2018, 8:32 pm

Just got my first offset, lots of leaks to seal up but hey its a start. Couple of questions if I may. The exhaust is really welded good. Would you recommend cutting them off and going reverse or using tuning plates? I understand going reverse I will loose some cooking property. I know the FB is overkill and not insulated. Can i build a new FB and slide it inside of that beast, as long I don't choke off the throat? New racks upper and lower are planned and possibly and small warming cabinet above the FB.

Thanks in advance
Chris

And whomever said that were just going to jump on the forum real quick and get back to work, never came here. Thumbs up guys,great site

Link to BBQ Pit Calculator
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: Needing some help from the builders here.

Post by Big T » April 2nd, 2018, 10:25 pm

I would say that it depends on how much work and time that you're wanting to put in it as to which direction that you go. You could build some false walls in the FB to get it down to the correct size, add some tuning plates and not have a bunch of down time. If you decide to go RF, which I really like, I would say it's worth the time to make it right. You could insulate the inside of the FB with 2'' insulation and that would get you close to the recommended size. It wouldn't be hard to cut the stacks off, block the holes and move the stack to the other end. You could add a WC with baffles from the FB to WC , FB to CC and CC to WC and the cooking options would be almost endless. This will take a lot more time and require a good bit of work but it would be worth it in the long run, you really can't go wrong either way.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

cjohnson28
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Re: Needing some help from the builders here.

Post by cjohnson28 » April 2nd, 2018, 10:37 pm

Big T wrote:I would say that it depends on how much work and time that you're wanting to put in it as to which direction that you go. You could build some false walls in the FB to get it down to the correct size, add some tuning plates and not have a bunch of down time. If you decide to go RF, which I really like, I would say it's worth the time to make it right. You could insulate the inside of the FB with 2'' insulation and that would get you close to the recommended size. It wouldn't be hard to cut the stacks off, block the holes and move the stack to the other end. You could add a WC with baffles from the FB to WC , FB to CC and CC to WC and the cooking options would be almost endless. This will take a lot more time and require a good bit of work but it would be worth it in the long run, you really can't go wrong either way.
Thanks Big T, I saw one similar to what your describing and really like that layout. I think if I’m going to go that far I might as well start from scratch and get it all done as a clean build. Honestly I want to get it cooking pretty reliable, and learn the offset cooking fundamentals, then dive into the offset world with a better build and more useful trailer. That one is an old truck frame and axle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Standard Offsets”