Firebox location?

Horizontal smokers with a side firebox and tuning plates.
Ruff22
beginner
beginner

Firebox location?

Post by Ruff22 » November 1st, 2016, 6:01 pm

Hey all,

Great site! I'm finding out about all the things I DON'T know.

This is my first project so excuse me if this covered under another topic, as i am not sure what to call the problem i am having.

I have a 275 smoker that I am rebuilding. The bottom was pretty much gone but the rest was still salvageable.
There was never a firebox to speak of... it looks like it was only used for direct cooking.
20161031_175100.jpg
20161031_175119.jpg
I want to put the fire on the front (in the grated area) because the back will cause weight distribution problems. The measurements there are "29×45.5 and the distance from the trailer to the cook surface is "16.
20161031_175300.jpg
20161031_175228.jpg
The problem is that that would put the fb at the same level as the cc on the trailer. Also, because of the size of the cc i will need the entirety of the space available to make the fb; up to a height of "16 assuming a semi-rectangular fire box is an option.

Is any of this doable?

Is there an option that I am missing?

Is there any way to fix the airflow problems that my fb placement is going to cause?

Any help is appreciated!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Firebox location?

Post by Squiggle » November 1st, 2016, 6:48 pm

I believe Jambo units have the FB in line with the CC, but I don't know how his flow works, definitely not reverse flow doing it that way. I think his are insulated too.
Also, you'd have to modify the trailer so the door can open & you'd be working over the draw bar when tending the fire.

I think you'd be best off putting it offset at the back & putting weights at the front to get the balance right. :kewl:

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » November 1st, 2016, 6:59 pm

:welcome: I agree with Squiggle that the best option would be to move it to the rear and drop it down below the (CC)cook chamber. I don't think that it would work like a jambo because of the way the CC is built. I know you were worried about tongue weight but it isn't hard to add a little weight up front.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Ruff22
beginner
beginner

Post by Ruff22 » November 1st, 2016, 8:33 pm

Ok you guys sold me on using a counterweight upfront and offsetting in the back. It does give me an option for a reverse flow, which is was my goal at the outset.

I do have a question about the support beam that runs down the middle of the grated area (see pic below) It does not run the lenth of the trailer. It stops where the cc starts. I don't think cutting it will disrupt any stability, but I dont know enough to be sure. The freeway is a bad place to find out about physics, so any feedback is welcome.
20161101_201739.jpg
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Big T

Post by Big T » November 1st, 2016, 9:02 pm

I don't think it'll be an issue. You can cut it off at the end of the CC and put a cross member in there.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » November 1st, 2016, 11:04 pm

Just because the tank is attached to the trailer does not mean than cutting it off and moving it to a better, centered position is not an option. You are adding a lot of weight and the firebox is going to hang off the back. The farther back from the axle the firebox is, the greater the chance it drag on the ground crossing dips and curbs and such. I might suggest you move the whole unit forward....it will eliminate the need for counterweights, look better, and decrease chance of dragging it.

Ruff22
beginner
beginner

Re: RE: Re: Firebox location?

Post by Ruff22 » November 2nd, 2016, 9:13 am

Dirtytires wrote:Just because the tank is attached to the trailer does not mean than cutting it off and moving it to a better, centered position is not an option. You are adding a lot of weight and the firebox is going to hang off the back. The farther back from the axle the firebox is, the greater the chance it drag on the ground crossing dips and curbs and such. I might suggest you move the whole unit forward....it will eliminate the need for counterweights, look better, and decrease chance of dragging it.
After looking at all of the things I'll have to move to put it the fb the back, (lights, grate and hood counterweight holder) moving the cc forward does seem like a better choice overall. Since I I have removed most of the old welds that connect the the cc to the trailer that shouldn't be a problem. Thank you!

Ill post some pics later this week once I have time to get moving on this.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member

Post by Rodcrafter » November 2nd, 2016, 11:26 am

Welcome to the crew! Looks like these guys got you going.

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Higee
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by Higee » January 15th, 2017, 1:10 am

How is your build coming along?

Ruff22
beginner
beginner

Post by Ruff22 » January 15th, 2017, 11:32 am

Higee wrote:How is your build coming along?
Slow and steady. Lol

I'm currently securing the top to FB which came out better than I thought it would.

I hope to get the cc cut and attached by tomorrow night. I just have some spots on the cc to patch from teaching myself to weld on this thing. So much easier to do unattached.
20170114_163419.jpg
20170114_163333.jpg

temurf
Expert
Expert
Title: Train Driver
BBQ Comp Team Name: Rednecks con Fuego

Post by temurf » January 15th, 2017, 8:31 pm

:LG:

Nothing wrong with slow and steady.

Yer gonna like what we've been smokin'.

Big T

Post by Big T » January 15th, 2017, 9:45 pm

:yth: :kewl:

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » January 15th, 2017, 10:19 pm

I'm looking into your FB and I see some bars going across. It looks like you are going to have your wood sit on it and burn allowing the ash to fall below. It may be problematic to do it this way. I'm not saying that to make more work for you but rather trying to help you while the top is still open. If it works the way I'm thinking most of your fire will always be on the floor of the FB not allowing for a good burning pile of coals. Then it will be very difficult to clean the ash out after the cook. The grate needs to be much closer together so you don't loose the coals to the ash. Then you may want it to come out to allow for cleaning.

jm2cw

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Ruff22
beginner
beginner

Post by Ruff22 » January 15th, 2017, 11:54 pm

Rodcrafter wrote:I'm looking into your FB and I see some bars going across. It looks like you are going to have your wood sit on it and burn allowing the ash to fall below. It may be problematic to do it this way. I'm not saying that to make more work for you but rather trying to help you while the top is still open. If it works the way I'm thinking most of your fire will always be on the floor of the FB not allowing for a good burning pile of coals. Then it will be very difficult to clean the ash out after the cook. The grate needs to be much closer together so you don't loose the coals to the ash. Then you may want it to come out to allow for cleaning.

jm2cw

Making memories!
I was thinking of using aluminum fire baskets (2 should do it I think). The bars are so the baskets don't sit on the FB floor. Do I have right idea?
I also drilled a 2 inch hole in the fb, right in front of the door for a cleaning drain. (You can't see it in the pics) I plan hitting it with the pressure washer as needed.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » January 16th, 2017, 7:49 am

:beer:

Ok cool, I just had to say something. I was concerned you might box yourself in then need to change something. Can you post a picture of the fire basket(s) you were talking about?

Ruff22
beginner
beginner

Post by Ruff22 » January 16th, 2017, 10:54 am

Rodcrafter wrote:Image

Ok cool, I just had to say something. I was concerned you might box yourself in then need to change something. Can you post a picture of the fire basket(s) you were talking about?
Well they don't exist yet. I was going to fabricate them toward the end of the project out of some expanded metal.

And thanks for chiming in. I'm not sure about anything I'm doing so any input is helpful.

I am a little confused about how to install the baffle plate. Should it be sealed to cook chamber on all sides except for the opening? I ask because I see a lot of baffle plates with progessively larger holes drilled into them which makes me think that airtight isn't a priority. Not welding it in will also give me the option to remove it and use the smoker for a large direct cook. Thoughts?

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » January 16th, 2017, 2:48 pm

The type of baffling with holes is really a tuning plate that doesn't move. A baffle plate on a Reverse Flow (RF) is welded in all the way around with a grease dam at the opposite end from the FB. Other ways of doing it are using separate plates to make up the same size as a baffle plate and put the grease dam at the FB throat opening

Making memories!

Ruff22
beginner
beginner

Post by Ruff22 » January 16th, 2017, 4:56 pm

Rodcrafter wrote:The type of baffling with holes is really a tuning plate that doesn't move. A baffle plate on a Reverse Flow (RF) is welded in all the way around with a grease dam at the opposite end from the FB. Other ways of doing it are using separate plates to make up the same size as a baffle plate and put the grease dam at the FB throat opening

Making memories!
Ok that clears it up. Thx again.

Return to “Standard Offsets”