How to route probe wires

Any Accessories you can think of that you can build for your smoker or for cooking on your smoker.
Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet

How to route probe wires

Postby Dirtytires » May 17th, 2016, 11:39 pm

I just purchased a couple of new thermoworks probes. How does everyone get the leads into the smoker? I'm going to be running a total of 4 leads off 2 meters into a newly built reverse flow. I have a gasket on this one and thicker/stiffer leads so I'm not sure running them thru the door gap is the best way as I don't want to damage the leads.

I am considering a "port" of some kind...maybe with a threaded plug but that would mean the leads have to be fished thru a hole each time. Not a big deal for the grate temps but I usually punch my food probes in while in the kitchen so I don't have to touch raw meat outside while I stick it.

Other thought is to run a small horizontal cut in the cook chamber at the bottom of each side of the door opening. I could just set the leads in the groove and the door would not hit them when closed. Issue with this is th gap and how to seal it?

I have the same issue in the warmer cabinet....

What works for you guys?

Pete Mazz
Title: Meathead

Re: How to route probe wires

Postby Pete Mazz » May 18th, 2016, 3:41 am

I fish mine in each cook. Buy a pack of cheap food grade latex gloves. I use them when I'm handling food away from a sink.

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Postby Squiggle » May 18th, 2016, 7:02 am

Check out Bkndsdls idea in his thread, pretty nifty using light mounting tube threads. I'm sure you won't loose too much through the holes & if you're worried you can always stuff a piece of rock wool insulation in there with the probe lead. :beer:

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

Rodcrafter
Title: Member

Postby Rodcrafter » May 18th, 2016, 8:13 am

I normally just drill a hole big enough to fit all the wires through, then put a bolt in it when not using probes. On an insulated cabinet the lamp tube is ideal.

jm2cw

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Postby Dirtytires » May 18th, 2016, 10:34 am

Appreciate the replies.....but I really don't want to use a hole. I've got the k-plugs on the leads so will have to run the probe end thru the hole. The grate probes have clips on the end so I would need a pretty big hole for them.

LSz
beginner
beginner

Postby LSz » May 18th, 2016, 10:50 am

Hi,

I've seen pictures about leading the wires through the chimney (if it's a gravity feed).

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Postby Dirtytires » May 18th, 2016, 2:55 pm

As stated, it's a reverse flow....has a 25 inch chimney making that not a practical solution.

The end goal is to stick the probe in the meat in the kitchen and plop the meat on the grate without having to fish the wires thru anything. Keeps my hands clean, all the mess in the kitchen, and the smoker door open for a minimial amount of time.

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!

Postby Squiggle » May 18th, 2016, 4:26 pm

Wow, those K-plugs are massive! :o

What about making a slightly wider channel/port in the CC door frame(1-2") & double up the seal? Then you could just sandwich the cables between the seal & then when you shut the door it will have full seal contact too :kewl:

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

Rodcrafter

Postby Rodcrafter » May 18th, 2016, 8:20 pm

I would have to say that I would cut a bigger hole than needed and make a wooden plug to allow the wires, then plug the extra hole space

Making memories.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Return to “Smoker Accessories”