thermometers for smoker

Any Accessories you can think of that you can build for your smoker or for cooking on your smoker.
webbsa
beginner
beginner
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Broken Arrow BBQ

thermometers for smoker

Post by webbsa » August 27th, 2011, 1:52 pm

Just wondering what thermometers are the best :?: :?: for my smoker build. I have two digital and I am looking for dial ones that I can mount to the smoker, What length probe? Should I mount them at grate level or above grate.

Life, Liberty, God and the pursuit of smoking...Now thats living!!!

MattS
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel
Title: 'bout yerself

Re: thermometers for smoker

Post by MattS » August 27th, 2011, 2:44 pm

I have never used a dial type therm that actually gave me the right reading. Maybe the probes are to short and don't get a good reading on all my thin walled smokers. They do add some bling to the smoker so I put them on anyway. But I just count on digitals in a block of wood sitting on the cooking grate.

300gal RF w/ Propane Assist Firebox
24" CampChef SmokeVault
UDS

k.a.m.

Post by k.a.m. » August 28th, 2011, 6:38 am

webbsa, the only therm I put on my cookers are Tel-Tru they are very accurate as far as therms go. I also place them at grate level using 3" to 6" stems.
There are other colors as well.
http://www.teltru.com/s-141-anodized-aluminum-dial.aspx
I will say this and agree with totally with MattS on their accuracy as far as your grate temps. The door therms should be used as a mental calculator as to what your grates are actually cooking at, I have seen accurate door therms be as far as 25° off from the grate temps. I always use oven grate therms on the grates to get the differences in the two then just make a mental note of them. I hope this helps.

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
Title: OB1
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
KCBS Cert. BBQ Judge

Post by Frank_Cox » August 28th, 2011, 10:27 am

What KAM said.
I use the door therms mainly for bling also. A good mechanical thermometer will have the ability to be calibrated. Usually there is a hex fitting on the back of the thermometer that is located at the base of the probe. Turning the hex fitting with a wrench and holding the thermometer housing in the other will change the calibration of the needle. For an oven style thermometer you usually can use a digital probe that has been calibrated in boiling water as a reference for setting the mechanical one.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

The Czar
Founder
Founder
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » January 24th, 2012, 1:53 pm

I am a fan of Mavericks.....I have two of them and love them both..... :chef:

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

Return to “Smoker Accessories”