Rib sauce

Share your recipes or request others.
towtruck
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict

Rib sauce

Post by towtruck » August 19th, 2018, 11:20 pm

I'm looking for a molasses based bbq sauce recipe. I have a ketchup based sauce that I have used for many decades and it's a favorite of many. One of the hole in the wall bbq joints I hit every month or so has a molasses based sauce that is killer. It is served hot and poured over the meat and not cooked onto the meat. It works great for serving the sauce on the side. The three heat ranges this place offers are mild, medium, and hot....the mild of course has no heat to it. The medium has a little heat that builds as you go and at the end of your meal your lips are a little warm (this is what I usually get) and the hot is lip warming on the first bite but stays even the whole meal.

What I do know for sure is it's cooked and served hot, has a small amount of red pepper flakes in it, it flows real well when warm and does not pile up on a hot rib. It runs off to about 1/16" thickness when you eat the rib. When it cools on your fingers it gets real sticky. The color is about the same as Sweet Baby Ray's original bbq sauce. I use chili powder in my sauce and I do not taste any (but there may be some in there) in this sauce and cannot identify the heat source.

Anyone have a tried and true molasses based sauce with a little heat they would be willing to pass on? And before you ask...no, I am not going to ask the bbq joint for the ingredients...they are starting to sell the sauce in jars and I don't want to piss them off.

Return to “Recipes”