Looking for a good BBQ sauce

Share your recipes or request others.
Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Squiggle » March 2nd, 2016, 2:55 am

So I just modified the fridge smoker a little to accommodate BBQ smoking & cold smoking(so now I can do cold, hot & BBQ smoking in the one unit) & I tested it out on some chicken breast. I covered them in a rub then smoked them at 120C(250F) for about 2hrs till they got an internal of 71C(160F). They were juicy & spicy but they lacked a little, the outside was a but dry & could have been basted in a nice sauce. So what I'm asking is, what's your favourite sauce recipe? I want to make this one at home cause I probably won't be able to get any of the sauces you have in the US down in Tassie(the land down under of the land down under) :kewl:

This is the cold smoke generator, I just used a propane burner to do the BBQ smoking(don't have a pic)

This is the chicken when I took it off.

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

Pete Mazz
Title: Meathead

Re: Looking for a good BBQ sauce

Post by Pete Mazz » March 2nd, 2016, 4:54 am

1 c ketchup
1 c water (as needed)
1/4 c cider vinegar
1 small onion (minced)
2 t garlic (minced)
2 tb brown sugar
2 tb molasses
2 ts dry mustard
1 ts chili powder

This is pretty much the basis for a tomato based Bbq sauce. From there you can add cayenne or your favorite hot sauce, butter (I like to briefly saute the onion and garlic with it, add the dry spices then add liquids and sugars). From there, salt/pepper to taste, try some Worcestershire, paprika, honey, apple juice...... When I'm experimenting I start with the base and then spoon a little into a bowl and then add small amounts of whatever to try. I also like mustard based sauces but mostly for pork.

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Squiggle
Expert
Expert

Post by Squiggle » March 2nd, 2016, 4:58 am

As usual dude, brilliant info! That sounds like an awesome base for any sauce style, I will definitely be giving that a go on the weekend, thanks mate! :beer:

Rodcrafter
Title: Member

Post by Rodcrafter » March 2nd, 2016, 3:48 pm

Good job, Pete!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

forty_creek
Expert
Expert
Title: 40 Ways 2 Kansas

Post by forty_creek » March 2nd, 2016, 10:18 pm

I like to take Kraft original bbq sauce or hickory smoke. Add a lot of apple cider vinegar. Plus grub rub, black pepper, dinks rub or whatever rub you like or have around. I add a lil of all. Sample. Adjust. Sample. When it's money get it to simmering. Let simmer 15-20 mins then let it cool pour back in original bottle. Make sure it's cooled off!!! I have melted a couple of bottles rushing. Trashed the mess!
I have an oldie but goodie recipe some where for bbq sauce from scratch. Haven't made it in a while. It makes a large batch. I cut it in half one time and it was terrible. If I can find it I will share it on here. In case somebody wants to try it. It's good to me. For the past several years I've leaned more to a vinegar based sauce with some sweet and lil heat on the end.
I'm gonna have to try Pete's recipe sometime. Always love tinkering with sauces.

Drankin, Smokin and Dreamin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRANKIN, SMOKIN and DREAMIN

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » March 2nd, 2016, 10:24 pm

2 years ago when I had first tried my 275 gallon smoker at my friends 4th of July party, I'd scoured the net for sauce recipes. I can only suggest trying to add ground clove to Pete's basic tomato based sauce. If anyone remembers Beemans chewing gum, it has this kind of taste ....

It's very different and not everyone likes that or that gum would still be more easily available. I know that several people loved it

Let me add this: watch out for high fructose corn syrup...its in the ketchup you use. Look for organic not that I'm into that kinda stuff. High fructose corn syrup....look it up for the bad stuff it does.

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Squiggle
Expert
Expert

Post by Squiggle » March 3rd, 2016, 2:38 am

Thanks for the heads up Puff, we are pretty limited with our selection of ketchup. We have tomato sauce here in Aus, ketchup is a spicier version of tomato sauce & not much variety available, but I will look out for the corn syrup content. I will also try clove powder, I love that in other cooking so I'm sure it will go well with BBQ. :beer:

Thanks for the tips forty_creek, I would love to try you oldie recipe, sounds like it would be kickass! :kewl:

Return to “Recipes”