Share your recipes or request others.
alleyrat58
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: TWSS! BBQ

Re: Bark color question

Post by alleyrat58 » February 26th, 2013, 2:19 pm

I don't really focus too much on bark. It doesn't seem to affect my comp score one way or the other. I think my comp score is more related to resting time than bark, but then I am certainly no authority on comp brisket.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Nothing I like more than to kick back with a Zima and a Virgina Slim reading 50 Shades of Grey with DCman (The Czar).

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
Title: OB1
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
KCBS Cert. BBQ Judge

Post by Frank_Cox » February 26th, 2013, 4:14 pm

also with the new scoring weights, the appearance weighting factor went down and the taste factor went up so it is not as big of a deal anymore...?

alleyrat58
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: TWSS! BBQ

Post by alleyrat58 » February 26th, 2013, 4:50 pm

I didn't see that the weights changed. Guess I should read the book more often. Ha ha. Appearance was already only like .5 while taste and tenderness were like 2 and 2.5 or something like that. I really try and focus on the face of the slices in brisket and not the bark. The judges don't really see the bark, they only see the color of the meat and the smoke ring. I like a nice 3/8" to 1/2" pink ring and a nice beige color on the meat. Both of those are controlled mostly by the chemicals in the rub and inject.

Again - just my .02...

Nothing I like more than to kick back with a Zima and a Virgina Slim reading 50 Shades of Grey with DCman (The Czar).

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
Title: OB1
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
KCBS Cert. BBQ Judge

Post by Frank_Cox » February 26th, 2013, 9:49 pm

The weights now are weighted heaviest is taste, next is tenderness, and least is appearance

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forum Runner

streetsmoker75
Just Got in trouble for buying tools
Just Got in trouble for buying tools

Post by streetsmoker75 » March 23rd, 2017, 3:23 pm

So what I'm understanding here is like a 3 2 1 deal on the ribs... Just rub the ribs... Smoke for 3 hours.. Wrap and and mop with brewed tea...smoke 2 more hours.. Unwrap and smoke again for another hour... Never used tea for ribs but I do marinate pot roast in coffee before it goes in the Dutch oven

Return to “Recipes”