Cooking at higher temps?

Tips, Tricks, Q and A for Cooking Techniques
Mo Smoke
Expert
Expert

Cooking at higher temps?

Post by Mo Smoke » July 13th, 2017, 6:28 am

I know there is always a debate about low and slow vs hot and fast cooking. Some meats are better with one technique compared to the other. When I cook hot and fast, I grill the meat over direct heat using coals and wood. I think the texture and color of chicken turns out better this way. It's definitely easier to get crispy skin. But I think the flavor of the chicken is better when it's smoked using indirect heat and wood at a lower cook temp. I'm thinking about trying to combine the methods by making a bigger fire and smoking some chicken at a higher temp. Any thoughts or experiences?

When u cook hot and fast do u grill with direct heat or smoke indirect?

What cook temps do u like for chicken.?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smoke em if ya got em.

temurf
Expert
Expert
Title: Train Driver
BBQ Comp Team Name: Rednecks con Fuego

Re: Cooking at higher temps?

Post by temurf » July 13th, 2017, 6:52 pm

Meathead Goldwyn over at Amazingribs.com swears by the reverse sear method for steaks.

You smoke them low & slow with indirect heat to get the flavor then sear them over direct heat to get that outer crust.

I've done it on my Weber kettle with rib eyes and t-bones with good results.

Haven't tried it with chicken yet, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Yer gonna like what we've been smokin'.

Mo Smoke
Expert
Expert

Post by Mo Smoke » July 13th, 2017, 8:03 pm

Yeah I have thought about doing that , but I haven't been able to bring myself to fire up 2 grills just for chicken, or to reconfigure my setup in the middle of a cook to switch from smoking to grilling. I usually just choose one way or the other based on what else I'm cooking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smoke em if ya got em.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » July 15th, 2017, 6:59 am

If I don't change cookers I rotate up as things get done. In my horizontal CC the top rack is hotter so as pieces get close I put them on the top. It seems to work pretty good

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Return to “Food Prep and Cooking Techniques”