Need some opinions!

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
justingingrich

Need some opinions!

Post by justingingrich » May 22nd, 2019, 8:52 am

Hello,

I'm relatively new and am really excited to be a part of this community!

I'm getting ready to build my first smoker (been using a Traeger) and I found this design, with is perfect for what I want. However, I can't find any examples of any other smoker ever being built like this. It doubles as a grill/rotisserie.

https://store.brickwoodovens.com/brickw ... ion-manual

I'm wondering what others think of the design. I'm concerned about losing heat through the doors which are on top. I also find the firebox odd in that it is centered (instead of L or R) directly under the smoke box. It will be a relatively expensive project, and am curious to hear other, more experienced folks opinion of this.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: Need some opinions!

Post by Big T » May 22nd, 2019, 9:01 pm

It probably works but I'm not sure how well it works or how efficient it is. I couldn't tell a lot about the design of the thing from the small pictures but I didn't see a chimney or some way of the heat exiting the cook chamber. Are you looking to buy one of these or just build something similar ? You could build a center feed smoker from steel for a lot less than this thing costs but it would perform flawlessly. I'm also in the camp of building a cooker that is designed for one style of cooking, either a smoker or a grill. If you try to build a multi- functional cooker, it always ends up being a game of compromise and it does a lot of things but not as well as a dedicated cooker.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

justingingrich

Post by justingingrich » May 22nd, 2019, 9:21 pm

Big T wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 9:01 pm
It probably works but I'm not sure how well it works or how efficient it is. I couldn't tell a lot about the design of the thing from the small pictures but I didn't see a chimney or some way of the heat exiting the cook chamber. Are you looking to buy one of these or just build something similar ? You could build a center feed smoker from steel for a lot less than this thing costs but it would perform flawlessly. I'm also in the camp of building a cooker that is designed for one style of cooking, either a smoker or a grill. If you try to build a multi- functional cooker, it always ends up being a game of compromise and it does a lot of things but not as well as a dedicated cooker.
Thank you! I really appreciate the input. I've actually started looking at building a center feed. The challenge with steel is the wife would like something that is also aesthetically pleasing - so pretty much needs to be a mason project or steel hidden in bricks, or something to that degree.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by ajfoxy » May 23rd, 2019, 1:17 am

The challenge with steel is the wife would like something that is also aesthetically pleasing
Ahh mate, is there a sight more pleasing to the eye of of the beholder than a fully functional smoker producing top notch tucker?
Sheesh I think she's been hard on you mate. :D

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » May 23rd, 2019, 9:44 am

It sounds to me like your project is going to be a backyard fire pit with a removable cooking grate for grilling steaks. And I don’t recommend them often but a small electric smoker on the corner of the patio can handle smoking duty.

Return to “Reverse Flow Smokers”