Discussion about all kinds of Mechanical and Electronic Smoker Controls
SoloQue
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Irv's Smokehouse

BBQ Guru - Customer Service

Post by SoloQue » June 20th, 2012, 4:54 pm

:headwall: .. :headwall: .. :headwall: .. :headwall: .. :headwall: .. :headwall: .. :headwall: .. :headwall: .. :headwall: .. :headwall: .. :headwall: .. :headwall:
OK guys, so I am about to take ownership of a truly bad-ass smoker (if i have failed to say it .. your fab work rocks TQ) and I want to put all the bells and whistles on this beast including a Guru. I was about to place my order online when I realized I couldn't make heads or tails as to what the standard power supply was when purchased. I want to be able to plug into an outlet or if necessary clip onto a deep cycle battery so I called Guru customer service to find out which accessory I needed to pick up to round out my options...no answer so I left a message with a call back number. Waited a few days, called again ... left a message with a call back number. Waited a few more days and decided email may work better, sent out email inquiries to the listed contacts. Waited a few days .. at this point I am askingmyself do I really want to spend a single dime with a company whose customer service sucks this badly. Has anyone dealt with these people? Is this normal? Is the product so dependable that these yahoos deserve to get my money because I can be confident that I will never have to depend on them to resolve an issue? It has been a really long time since I encountered someone that less deserved my business but I feel like there are precious few options and probably they know this as well. I will appreciate any opinions offered be it based on second hand knowledge or first hand experience.

Irv (Solo)

If it can't be smoked .... try frying it. It that don't work, it's probably best just left alone

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Re: BBQ Guru - Customer Service

Post by Gizmo » June 20th, 2012, 5:02 pm

I just bought mine online and it works fine - love the product.
When I don't understand something I'm kinda old school so I always call and talk to a real person - but I haven't had to call Guru for anything....
I was only aware of one power supply being available...
Have you placed the order? :)

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

SoloQue
Expert
Expert

Post by SoloQue » June 20th, 2012, 5:11 pm

Not yet. What was the standard set up when you bought yours? Plug-in or battery clips. They sell both and I am going to purchase whatever is not already part of the package just to be ready either way. Some comps are pretty nice with electricity and such but I have been to some smaller venues that are downright primitive so a deep cycle battery will be my option then. I actually like the small comps since they are usually raising money for something and the organizers are almost always just glad folks signed up to compete. OK, I wondered off topic again, thanks for the feedback!

If it can't be smoked .... try frying it. It that don't work, it's probably best just left alone

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Post by Gizmo » June 20th, 2012, 5:57 pm

Just took the power supply it came with and I've never needed the 12 volt cord.

If I understand you this guru is going on the smoker TQ is building right now?
If so I would wait and "Old school" it first and then decide if you want to try a guru.
I'm afraid the delay will be too long for the algorithm.
I mentioned that in the Edgar thread somewhere at the end or maybe in a cooking thread with Edgar.
I tried it about 3 times and decided I could do a better job through experience than the guru on that particular smoker.
It just couldn't grab the whole "fan on - temp change - fan off" operation like you might think... :)

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

The Czar
Founder
Founder
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » June 20th, 2012, 6:08 pm

I would say call Frank....he is OB 1 after all.... :huh:

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

SoloQue
Expert
Expert

Post by SoloQue » June 20th, 2012, 6:16 pm

Well, its a $500 drop so I can always tinker old school until I get a grasp on the capabillities. One good thing I will literally be able to dial in the air flow so temp control is definetly available. I just can't believe no one will pick up the dang phone at Guru, could be they are just that swamped with everyone ramping up for the summer cooking. Thats the first I have heard of the Guru struggling with the larger RF's but then I haven't logged in tons of hours researching, its just always been on my damn thats cool list.

alleyrat58
Administrator
Administrator
BBQ Comp Team Name: TWSS! BBQ

Post by alleyrat58 » June 20th, 2012, 8:01 pm

I am a huge Guru fan, but for the larger RF you need more power - at least I did. I think Rick is right, try it out a couple of times and see what you think - you may not need to the Guru after all.

That said, I bought my Guru in 2008 - CyberQ II with the a pit bull. It came with the AC power adapter, I haven't bought the 12 V adapter yet, but you could certainly add it to your order. I had a relay in the Guru go out a while back - probably due to my own tinkering - and emailed the head dude over there (can't remember his name). I paid the shipping to them, they fixed it and paid the shipping back to me. I sent the email one night and got a return the next morning. When you say customer service at the Guru, you are talking about like 3 people. I can't understand why they aren't returning your emails / phone calls however.

The sad truth is that you don't have a lot of options for forced draft and Guru certainly has a great product. I would encourage you to keep trying to go with them or find a local dealer to work through. There is a store here in Omaha - helpingubbq.com - that is a dealer. They will mail order to you or help you find a local dealer. Tell them TWSS sent you. Great guys!

Nothing I like more than to kick back with a Zima and a Virgina Slim reading 50 Shades of Grey with DCman (The Czar).

SoloQue
Expert
Expert

Post by SoloQue » June 20th, 2012, 8:18 pm

alleyrat58 wrote:but for the larger RF you need more power
Yeah, I had one of them educated folks (a buddy of mine) knock out some numbers and he told me I would need to go with a dual fan set up if I chose to go with the guru. the cool thing is that the digiQ dx2 is set up to run dual fans I just have to pony up the cash to buy an extra fan assembly and a splitter. (50 cfm total) I think for at least the first month or so I will just spend time running temps and learning what kind of zones I have, I've got 4 digital therms to place where ever I need so I should be able to run some accurate numbers. Will be a good excuse to burn a bunch of wood and get her seasoned before I worry about 12 and 14 hour over night runs. Once again, this site is top notch for getting sincere feedback. Thanks

alleyrat58
Administrator
Administrator
BBQ Comp Team Name: TWSS! BBQ

Post by alleyrat58 » June 21st, 2012, 11:55 am

Hey Solo - I was just at the HUB (BBQ store here in Omaha) and the guy I know that runs it said if you want a Guru he can get you set up. Had everything in stock while I was standing there in the store. Give him a call if you're interested. 888-932-4578.

He was surprised that you weren't getting any response from them, so maybe he can help there too.

Nothing I like more than to kick back with a Zima and a Virgina Slim reading 50 Shades of Grey with DCman (The Czar).

non3ck
beginner
beginner
Title: non-vegetarian
BBQ Comp Team Name: Hawg Pile BBQ

Post by non3ck » June 29th, 2012, 1:24 pm

Not sure if you are still looking for someone that can help you. Just in case you have a need now or in the future, I have had successful and timely phone calls and email correspondence with a person in their sales department:

Lisa Jo Goetter
Senior Account Executive
1(800)288-GURU x241
LisaJo@thebbqguru.com

Smoke + Meat = Good

KCBS Certified Judge

SoloQue
Expert
Expert

Post by SoloQue » June 29th, 2012, 8:04 pm

thanks for the feedback. Right now I am tinkering "old school" just to make sure I understand what ol' Pops can do. I still think I will put a guru on in the future just because the idea of being able to grab a few hours sleep really means alot toweards me enjoying the comps that much more.

Smokeone
Founder
Founder
Title: Builder Wannabee
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team Smokerbuilder

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge

Post by Smokeone » July 1st, 2012, 3:30 pm

Sleep is over rated.
Well it used to be anyway. :P

BBQ is just smoke and beers!
Usually more beers than smoke.

The Czar
Founder
Founder
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » July 2nd, 2012, 6:15 pm

Not sleeping is like all the fun......or is that all the beer.....maybe both?

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

Smokeone
Founder
Founder
Title: Builder Wannabee
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team Smokerbuilder

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge

Post by Smokeone » July 3rd, 2012, 7:29 am

Yes!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Return to “Smoker Controls. Mechanical and electronic”